Backup strategy when using 2nd drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by firmansolutions, Mar 5, 2011.

1. firmansolutions macrumors member

firmansolutions

Currently I used Time Machine and also Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) to make a bootable weekly copy of my system onto a firewire drive.

My MBP 15" arrives soon and I am going to a 256gb SSD drive into it. I am also going to move my Home folder as per the instructions on this site (http://chris.pirillo.com/how-to-move-the-home-folder-in-os-x-and-why/).

I haven't quite made up my mind as to the exact location of everything at this stage, but it is certain that OSX will primarily be one disk, with the exception of my Home folder and everything that entails. My other business data folders will probably be with the home folder, but some VM's could be with OS X on the SSD.

Anyway, what workflow should I employ with CCC to protect both MBP drives, so I can boot from them should I need to, and recover to replacement hardware should that be necessary.

Will I need an extra drive to map the 256 SSD too (my current firewire drive is 500gb matching the new MBP 500gb 7200rpm drive). Obviously total disk space capacity must be catered for, but what complexities am I introducing having two internal MBP drives.

Thanks
    Firman

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I'm currently running Lion and Snow Leopard in my iMac which means my HD is partitioned into two, which is quite the same as two separate HDs. My Lion partition is only 50GB so my Home folder is located in the other partition. I am using Time Machine and it backs up both of my partitions. You should be able to use CCC, just create two workflows which both have the same external HD as the target. If you aren't using more than 500GB, then 500GB external is fine

3. firmansolutions thread starter macrumors member

firmansolutions

Thanks for that Hellhammer. Makes sense. OS X Lion? Are you a beta tester / developer. I hope its as good as the blogs are suggesting. I think the recovery partition will be a great feature.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Nah, I'm not a developer. Lets just say that I got it through a file hosting site that shall remain unnamed (piracy is against the forum rules). So far it has been great though, much stabler than I expected since it's the first public beta.