Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

discofuel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
So my current backup strategy uses two western digital external hard drives.

The first I have permanently connected to my iMac using Time Machine.

On the second I use CCC to backup to every week and keep it in the trunk of my car as an offsite backup.

Just had a couple of questions to make sure I'm prepared for the worse...

- What temperatures can hard drives survive at? Is there a risk of it overheating in my car?

- I've read about some issues with CCC's backups. I'm currently backing up to an encrypted disk image - is there any way to verify the backup? If I just cloned the drive instead so it was bootable is there any way to encrypt it? And is Super Duper more reliable?

slpdLoad

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2009
Someone with more knowledge will have to answer about the encryption, but generally if you can successfully boot from a clone, then you're good to go.

Is there really no other place than the trunk of your car? Due to vibrations, heat, wrecks, getting stolen, etc...almost any indoor location would be better.

I'd check the manufacturer's website to see specs of the drive/enclosure.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
- What temperatures can hard drives survive at? Is there a risk of it overheating in my car?

Check the drive manufactures manual, it should tell you.

- I've read about some issues with CCC's backups. I'm currently backing up to an encrypted disk image - is there any way to verify the backup? If I just cloned the drive instead so it was bootable is there any way to encrypt it? And is Super Duper more reliable?

A clone is a clone. Both programs just use the included unix script for rsync. The only difference is price and the shareware SuperDuper can back just changes after the full backup. However CCC now can do the same.

discofuel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
Temperature (Non-operating)
-4° F to 149° F
-20° C to 65° C

Unlikely to get that hot!!!

Is there really no other place than the trunk of your car? Due to vibrations, heat, wrecks, getting stolen, etc...almost any indoor location would be better.

Guess it's not ideal. Could leave it at a friend's house but then I'll probably end up not backing it up as much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.