Backup suggestion

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Mafio, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Mafio macrumors member

Hello guys!

I just got my Mac Book Pro :) and I have installed bootcamp and Windows XP (everything is working fine). I will use this laptop mainly for work, unfortunately running Windows XP.
    I have spent lots of time setting up all the programs that I need, Outlook ect…. Is it possible to save this partition? In case of a problem is there any way to restore this configuration?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Mafio

2. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Backup everything, not just the Windows partition.

I recomend an external HD at least as big as the one on your computer, then clone the drive. Store the drive in a safe place and backup again often. You never know when or if you laptop will be lost, stolen, or break.

I use Carbon Copy Cloner to do the job. I think it's still free. Click the link try it. You can create a bootable backup so if you loose your laptop you can boot from the external drive, partition and all.

CCC Website

3. Mafio thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot!!! I will do a clone ASAP:D

4. shiunn macrumors 6502

I've just installed XP on parallel desktop. And done all the necessary updates. Is there a way to backup an image so that if I ever want to revert to a clean install, I can just use the image?

I have been looking at the one of the files named winxp.hdd 2.24gb. Could that be the only file i need to backup?
    thanks