BackUp/Sync - iPhone data to overwrite the Macbook data - not the other way around

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by patent10021, Aug 24, 2010.

1. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

I jut did a backup (right-clicked my iPhone and selected backup).

But how do I sync to iTunes so that everything in iTunes reflects what is in my iPhone?

How do I make it so the iPhone Calendar and AddressBook overwrite the Macbook Calendar and AddressBook and not the other way around?

And how do I know what's in the iTunes backup? i.e. what apps, addressbook contents, Calendar etc.

We also have two iPhones in the house and somehow my apps are getting put onto my wife's iPhone.

2. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Look in the info tab and scroll down to the bottom. There is things you can check in order to overwrite etc..

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

@esadb: That's for overwriting content on the iPhone, not syncing it back to the computer.

@patent10021: The iPhone is designed to merge information with the computer it syncs with. It will not reverse-sync, i.e. from the iPhone to a computer unless there is no data in Address Book, iCal to begin with. I recommend creating a new user account on your computer, connecting your iPhone in iTunes and then exporting the synced data to files that can be restored on the main account.

Here is all the information on iPhone and iPod touch backups you will need: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1766

About your apps ending on your wife's phone, unless you are sharing the same iTunes store account, to keep things straightforward and uncomplicated, you should just have separate user accounts on the Mac/PC.

4. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

wow. Limited isn't it. I mean how obvious is it that it's common to want to sync from your mobile device since it has the most current data because it goes with you wherever you go.