backup/sync iPhone with another iTunes

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Tex-Twil, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hello,
    I'm wondering what happens if I lose the iTunes Library that my iPhone is currently synced with (stolen mac, formatted HD ...)

If I plug the iPhone to another iTunes, it will tell my that the phone needs to be erased in order to be synced.

I found this article but to achieve this, we need the ID of the original iTunes Library. So what is the workround when one just loses the iTunes library ? Can the ID be found on the iPhone ?

Thanks,
    Tex

2. oculus42 macrumors 6502

Back Up Your Library

Make a copy of your library files. On Macs & PCs, they are in your Music folder.

you can do this manually, do it with Time Machine, or with Mozy or Carbonite. Put them on a USB stick, put them on a hard drive, just have a copy somewhere, and you're OK.

You may be able to use SharePod to rebuild your library from the iPod/iPhone. I did with my 60GB Pod when my PC crashed. It creates an "iTunes Export" file that you can import into a fresh install of iTunes (or just move the iTunes folder in your Music folder if working on someone else's computer) and keeps your library ID. After importing the SharePod export, I was able to sync my iPod with the computer.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

This is why you make backups as the poster above stated. Also, you should make a backup of your iPhone via itunes in every computer you have.

4. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

ok but is there a way to do this without a backup ? A friend of mine is in this situation.