Backup System Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pathumx, Jan 13, 2012.

1. pathumx macrumors member

Got a couple questions regarding backup options/methods.

I have 3 Macs, a MBP and 2 iMacs, all running Lion. They all have 1 TB of internal storage (the MBP has 2x500GB using an OptiBay). I also have a linux server with 3TB of Raid storage, which I backup the files with 2 externals but not the software, prefs and whatnot.

Currently I use a 1.5 TB time machine drive, and a 1 TB carbon copy clone drive for each but the newest iMac (haven't found prices i like on drives yet, but I'd do the same system as above).

Everything is fine right now since I have drives that are big enough and you can get drives up to 3TB, but i'm looking towards the future. My laptop and my first iMac are getting full, so they may get storage upgrades.

Question 1: So heres a hypothetical situation, a mac with a 3TB drive. A Carbon Copy is easy enough. But a time machine wouldn't really work since there aren't drives bigger than 3tb. I like having a drive thats 1.5 times bigger than the source drive. What would you guys use to back them up? I know there are thing like Drobos, but they start at $400 and thats without even including drives. Firewire 800 would be preferable, but im open to other methods like network storage via Gigabit Ethernet. It can use USB. Bonus points if I can use it as a second backup for all macs that I own, and even more bonus points if I can use it to better backup the linux server. What would you guys do?

Question 1.5: The linux server is filling up, so I'm probably gonna upgrade that too. So it'll also be past the size of the largest single drives out there. Any suggestions? Your answer for question 1 might cover this already.

Question 2: Is there any good replacement for WinClone on Lion? Last time I tried it on my laptop, it wouldn't complete a backup.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Synology make great NAS solutions, and you choose the size you want / need. I am currently using a 3TB TC for my 3 Macs, but I archive stuff off to external hdd's this works fine, and I can't see me having to change the TC anytime soon.

3. pathumx thread starter macrumors member

I used to have a synology actually, i ended up returning it and a friend built me the linux server. I'll look into them again, I forgot about them.

I should look into raid enclosures more.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use QNAP NAS and I'm very happy with that product. I compared both Synology and QNAP and for my needs I liked the QNAP over Synology. I'd recommend a look at them as well

5. pathumx thread starter macrumors member

Looks like a NAS or a second linux server is gonna be my best bet. If there are any other options, I'd be interested to hear.