Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Edrubin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
Has anyone else encountered this....

My phone is all updated to 2.0 and everything is set. Every time I plug my phone in itunes backs it up and it takes forever. Is this normal?

enero@serpico50

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2005
same thing here. its a pain in the ass. did you install yesterday, manually or auto update this morning before the server crash?

feels like it shouldnt be doing this and that its one of the many problems this new firmware has been giving me...

westernmass

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2007
Western Mass.
I think it is itunes with the issue. I have not updated to 2.0 but did update itunes 7.7 and ever sence a sync that would normally take a minute or less now takes 15-20 minutes. Yesturday it was taking 30-45 minutes and I did nothing else to itunes or the phone. I have to wait until later to update but I bet we will see another update to either itunes or the phone pretty quick.

enero@serpico50

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2005
I think it is itunes with the issue. I have not updated to 2.0 but did update itunes 7.7 and ever sence a sync that would normally take a minute or less now takes 15-20 minutes. Yesturday it was taking 30-45 minutes and I did nothing else to itunes or the phone. I have to wait until later to update but I bet we will see another update to either itunes or the phone pretty quick.

good point! I hope this isnt a features thats here to stay...

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
You can just click the x when it's backing up. It will cancel the backup, but continue syncing like normal.

greenmymac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Tulsa, Ok
plus not only the back up but the normal sync of calendar and contacts is taking forever.

Ok its not a "bug" or anything for us mac users go to

go to users/"home folder"/library/application support/mobile sync/

and if you have properly let the back up go look at the size of it

when I was on 1.1.4 the back up folder was normally less that 5 mb now mine is greater than 300mb the is more stuff to back up so it will naturally take longer

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
I think it is something up with your setup being phone to iTunes. When I sync it goes through the backup and syncing of the calender, contacts mail in about 25 seconds.

I did upgrade to 2.0 manually yesterday but don't think this had anything to do with it.

aforty

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Annoying as hell.
I let it do it the first time, then I unplugged and plugged it back in a little while later to sync a new contact and it started to backup again. Nope, canceled that thing quick and everything still synched afterwards no problem.

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
its very annoying!

edit: looking at my iStat Menu for HardDisk, it appears to only be writing the backup at under 1MB/sec via USB. sometimes there's bursts, sometimes there's lulls...
so to me it seems like something's wrong with iTunes

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
Note that if you do cancel the backup, you may not be able to restore from a canceled backup. I tried to do that (going from a leaked update from Thursday to an official update for my 1st gen iPhone, but I was too impatient to wait for the backup) and it said that my backup was corrupt.

I was thinking of starting from a scratch configuration anyway and that pretty much forced me to.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Yeah, it sucks!!

Apple took an amazing phone and have ruined so many things:

Syncing/backing up takes a lifetime now in iTunes, rates go up for new phones, have to buy a dock with new phones, have to pay for even 200 text message with new phones, have to wait in many hours of lines cause of new AT&T activation stuff, upgrade fees, etc. etc. Can't buy one as a gift now and wrap it up, cause it has to be activated, etc .etc.

This isn't the Apple we all love.

tampaappleman

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2008
Tampa,Fl
Backup takes forever - ca. 10 min

Can you please get a little more specific what "forever" means. My iPhone has occupied about 11 GB of data of all kinds amongst about 45 App Store apps. A backup takes usually a little less than 10 minutes ( what I think is way too much ). Also 2.0.1 promises that the backup process will be shorter with that update. I don't see any speed improvement ?

Any thoughts?

optV

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2008
Last night before performing the 2.0.1 update my nearly empty phone (13 contacts, 10 apps, NO MUSIC, NO PHOTOS, NO EMAIL) took about 15 mins to backup!!!!!

My computer has a intel core 2 duo 2.4ghz with 2 gb of ram. Nothing was going on in the background. I'm really hesitant to put lots of music and stuff on my 16gb because of the backup taking forever.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
After I upgraded my firmware and my backups still took forever. After I restored the phone from scratch it was fine.

enero@serpico50

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2005
I have about 20 apps and it takes about 20-30 minutes on my 2G iPhone. Strangely my friend with about the same amount of apps on his 3G iPhone takes almost an hour to backup!

I hope the update really helps. I havent added or deleted any apps yet so there hasnt been any backup since the update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.