Backup takes forever...everytime

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Edrubin, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Edrubin macrumors member

Has anyone else encountered this....

My phone is all updated to 2.0 and everything is set. Every time I plug my phone in itunes backs it up and it takes forever. Is this normal?

2. AnDi86 macrumors 6502

3. enero@serpico50 macrumors newbie

same thing here. its a pain in the ass. did you install yesterday, manually or auto update this morning before the server crash?

feels like it shouldnt be doing this and that its one of the many problems this new firmware has been giving me...

4. AnDi86 macrumors 6502

I upgraded to the iPhone 3G this morning.

So it must just be the new 2.0 firmware

5. enero@serpico50 macrumors newbie

Hope this isn't a "feature" on 2.0...

6. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

me too. Plus my ringer switch is broken. sucks

7. westernmass macrumors 6502

westernmass

I think it is itunes with the issue. I have not updated to 2.0 but did update itunes 7.7 and ever sence a sync that would normally take a minute or less now takes 15-20 minutes. Yesturday it was taking 30-45 minutes and I did nothing else to itunes or the phone. I have to wait until later to update but I bet we will see another update to either itunes or the phone pretty quick.

8. enero@serpico50 macrumors newbie

good point! I hope this isnt a features thats here to stay...

9. spacehog371 macrumors regular

You can just click the x when it's backing up. It will cancel the backup, but continue syncing like normal.

10. enero@serpico50 macrumors newbie

but you would have to do that at the beginning of every sync. Unless there is a way to turn it off in prefs that I cant find...

11. westernmass macrumors 6502

westernmass

plus not only the back up but the normal sync of calendar and contacts is taking forever.

12. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

Ok its not a "bug" or anything for us mac users go to

go to users/"home folder"/library/application support/mobile sync/

and if you have properly let the back up go look at the size of it

when I was on 1.1.4 the back up folder was normally less that 5 mb now mine is greater than 300mb the is more stuff to back up so it will naturally take longer

13. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I think it is something up with your setup being phone to iTunes. When I sync it goes through the backup and syncing of the calender, contacts mail in about 25 seconds.

I did upgrade to 2.0 manually yesterday but don't think this had anything to do with it.

14. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Annoying as hell.
    I let it do it the first time, then I unplugged and plugged it back in a little while later to sync a new contact and it started to backup again. Nope, canceled that thing quick and everything still synched afterwards no problem.

15. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

its very annoying!

edit: looking at my iStat Menu for HardDisk, it appears to only be writing the backup at under 1MB/sec via USB. sometimes there's bursts, sometimes there's lulls...
    so to me it seems like something's wrong with iTunes

16. nilk macrumors 6502

Note that if you do cancel the backup, you may not be able to restore from a canceled backup. I tried to do that (going from a leaked update from Thursday to an official update for my 1st gen iPhone, but I was too impatient to wait for the backup) and it said that my backup was corrupt.

I was thinking of starting from a scratch configuration anyway and that pretty much forced me to.

17. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yeah, it sucks!!

Apple took an amazing phone and have ruined so many things:

Syncing/backing up takes a lifetime now in iTunes, rates go up for new phones, have to buy a dock with new phones, have to pay for even 200 text message with new phones, have to wait in many hours of lines cause of new AT&T activation stuff, upgrade fees, etc. etc. Can't buy one as a gift now and wrap it up, cause it has to be activated, etc .etc.

This isn't the Apple we all love.

18. otis123 macrumors 6502a

19. tampaappleman macrumors newbie

Backup takes forever - ca. 10 min

Can you please get a little more specific what "forever" means. My iPhone has occupied about 11 GB of data of all kinds amongst about 45 App Store apps. A backup takes usually a little less than 10 minutes ( what I think is way too much ). Also 2.0.1 promises that the backup process will be shorter with that update. I don't see any speed improvement ?

Any thoughts?

20. optV macrumors newbie

Last night before performing the 2.0.1 update my nearly empty phone (13 contacts, 10 apps, NO MUSIC, NO PHOTOS, NO EMAIL) took about 15 mins to backup!!!!!

My computer has a intel core 2 duo 2.4ghz with 2 gb of ram. Nothing was going on in the background. I'm really hesitant to put lots of music and stuff on my 16gb because of the backup taking forever.

21. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

After I upgraded my firmware and my backups still took forever. After I restored the phone from scratch it was fine.

22. enero@serpico50 macrumors newbie

I have about 20 apps and it takes about 20-30 minutes on my 2G iPhone. Strangely my friend with about the same amount of apps on his 3G iPhone takes almost an hour to backup!

I hope the update really helps. I havent added or deleted any apps yet so there hasnt been any backup since the update.