Backup taking forever ... anyone else

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EarthDawn, Aug 25, 2008.

1. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

first generation iPhone.... 2.02 and not jailbroken
    about 300 songs, no movies and about 10 ringtones and 10 apps

mine takes a few minutes but my girlfriends has been backing up for 1/2 hour now and still has 25% to go ....

anyone else with this ???

2. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

after each restore it takes a long time but once that has end it, it takes about 10mins

3. XianPalin macrumors 6502

XianPalin

I have this problem. I have about 4 screens of apps, and about 5 or 6 of 16gb used. A backup will literally take a few hours to do, but I almost always cancel.

I've been wondering if I should let it do one of those backups and then do a restore and see if that fixes anything, but I'm kind of hoping a new firmware or iTunes update fixes it.

4. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

if you cancel frequently, then your gonna build up a large collection of partial backups. this will make the next full backup longer than normal

not really a problem, just clear the backups folder occasionally
    ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backups

5. XianPalin macrumors 6502

XianPalin

Ah, I had no idea about this... there is a folder in that directory (bunch of random characters) and then inside there are :confused: 8,747 files :eek:

Should I delete the folder and all contents? Or just delete the contents of the folder while leaving the folder intact?

6. Clyde099 macrumors regular

Thanks for the helpful info.

My backup takes anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes every so often.

7. orthorex macrumors member

Interesting...

My iPhone has been stuck backing up for about 1 hour with about 10% left. I opened this folder and another file is being added every 2-3 seconds. Should I delete everything in the folder? There are about 6000 files in there. Also, does this folder contain info about the history of the "Backup" application used with iDisk?

8. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

I know...I tried to add a custom ringtone (that I made in garage band) over my lunch hour, and had to quit the sync about 3/4 of the way through...because it was taking too d6mn long. :(

9. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

The Search feature at the top could help with this...

*sigh* This is becoming the new speaker thread.

10. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

it's at least actually a "problem"...

i did find though that after the first painstakingly long backup, the rest have been pretty quick. you just have to get through that first one, and like posted above, don't cancel it. let that first backup after a restore finish and you will be rewarded with much quicker ones to follow.

11. XianPalin macrumors 6502

XianPalin

Deleting these backups didn't seem to do anything for me. Following the instructions at the end of this thread seemed to fix it:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=549798

Essentially, use iTunes to remove all the apps on the phone, then manually remove any that still remain. Reboot the phone, then install back a few at a time. So far the backup time is a minute or so :eek:

Note that uninstalling an App through iTunes seemed to take a long time, sometimes 30-60 seconds for an app, while others were quick.