Backup the old: Getting ready for the 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jayes, Sep 13, 2014.

1. jayes macrumors regular

I am going to back up my old iphone 5 to itunes so that I am ready to restore apps and data to my new iphone 6 when it comes. iPhone 5 is currently running IOS 7. I assume the new phone will come with IOS 8. Do I have to upgrade the old iphone 5 to IOS 8 in order to make the information compatible? Or does iTunes just copy it all and not care what operaring system the new phone is running?

2. rritterson macrumors 6502

restoring backups from older versions of iOS to newer versions is fine. You can't go the other way and restore an iOS 8 backup to an iOS 7 device, though.

3. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

Any worry about it negatively affecting the phone, such as battery life? I have read that it can, though I don't know for sure.

4. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

Back ups should be done regularly in anyway. Personally I'd wait until you have downloaded iOS and then do the back up.

5. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

I don't like restoring from backups from old phones to new phones. That's just me though, I will be setting up as new and starting over.

6. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I never begin a new iOS or new phone from a backup. I also start fresh and set up as a "NEW" phone.

7. Henke macrumors member

Henke

How do you get contacts onto you're new iphone,from old 1, if you don't restore the new fone? Been that long since I did it,I've hit a mental block trying to think how it's done.

8. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

The contacts are independent of the icloud phone backup. The contacts are stored in with your account, or with google...however you do it bud.

9. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

I'm all iCloud so once I login I get all of it back.

10. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

Like others already said, all iCloud.

11. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Anyone know how to transfer SMS/iMessages to new iPhone, without using iCloud backup?

I am using a Windows 7 machine.

12. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

Don't think you can without restoring from a full back up, i could be wrong though. May be possible with iOS8 though, as your SMS are meant to be available on your mac and iPad etc, I'm guessing they'll be going to iCloud as well.

13. 2IS Suspended

I've never had a problem restoring from a backup on a new phone, and I've done it both ways. My experience is that setting it up as a new phone results in wasted time. That's just me though.

14. cub4bearin macrumors member

so, You start as a NEW phone ( I get that ;) )... but what next? downloading everything from beginning? all the apps etc? or after the phone is set as a NEW, then U go and do restore? Just trying understand here.. Not sure I want to spend hours of downloading all the apps etc..

15. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

I've done both. Starting new does take some time to get your apps back and running. Then you have to spend some time to configure other email acct, notification settings, etc.

If I'm pressed for time (and I want to keep "other data" at a minimum) I'll do a full backup in iTunes, do a reset, then restore on the old phone Before I to a restore on the new one.

16. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Thanks!

I am going to look at some of the third party programs.

17. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

After I set up as new I do not do a restore. All the apps and whatever is added manually. It can take some time but I find it is worth it. The phone always seems to perform better.