Backup to both iCloud & iTunes

Discussion in 'iPad' started by martosprint, Apr 14, 2012.

1. martosprint macrumors 6502

Not clear on this but if I backup my iPad to iCloud can I also back it up to iTunes or is it just one or the other? Will my paid apps still be in iTunes if I back up to iCloud? Should or could I back up to both and would my apps still be able to be retrieved from both iTunes and iCloud? Haven't used iCloud yet and everything is backed up in iTunes. Hope I made myself clear. Thanks for a response.

2. Username02 macrumors regular

> Not clear on this but if I backup my iPad to iCloud can I also back it up to iTunes or is it just one or the other?

When you select 'Back Up To iCloud', the backup happens automatically at least every 24 hours but only when the device is plugged into a power source.

Once this is selected, automatic Back-Ups to iTunes will no longer occur. However, you can right click on the device in iTunes sources list and still perform a manual back-up.

> Will my paid apps still be in iTunes if I back up to iCloud?

Yes. Your paid apps should still be in your iTunes library (if you sync your device with iTunes) as well as available as a free download at any time from the iTunes store.

> Should or could I back up to both and would my apps still be able to be retrieved from both iTunes and iCloud?

Yes on both accounts IMO.

iCloud back-ups are great for convenience and the manual local back-ups are perfect before updating to a new OS version or even prior to other big changes involving your apps and data.

3. waynep macrumors 6502

I think people think backup and syncing are the same. I see a diffence. Backup seems to be configuration, app logins etc. I don't think backup includes all the apps, music etc. i think that's what syncing is. Mine iPad is backing up to iCloud, but it still syncs my content to my iTunes.

4. Username02 macrumors regular

Indeed. Backup includes your configuration and any app data.
    Backups do not include the actual application.

When restoring a device from a local iTunes backup apps get re-synced.
    If restoring a device from an iCloud backup the apps are re-downloaded automatically as part of the restore process.

5. martosprint thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies Username02, thanks for the in depth reply. So I can backup using both iCloud and iTunes then. That was helpful.