Backup to external drive, access from both Mac and PC ?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by qveda, Sep 7, 2009.

1. qveda macrumors regular

I have a MacPro, currently use an external FW drive for TimeMachine backups. I'm considering getting an internal drive for TM, and using the ext.drive as a secondary backup for photos, videos etc.

I understand that I could format my Mac backup drive in FAT32, but I recall there are limitations of filenaming - so filenames would be truncated.

Question. any hardware of s/w solution that would allow me to read/transfer the files (psd, jpeg , mpg, etc) to a PC ?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The drive itself just needs to be formatted in something that can be read by both.

3. qveda thread starter macrumors regular

I've been reading that only FAT32 can be read by both. If I format the 1TB ext. drive as FAT32 I believe that no single file can be larger than 4gb, which I think will be fine for most of my data. And I think the file names would be truncated, since I recall that FAT32 cannot support file names or extensions more than 8.3 xxxxxxxx.xxx - so maybe that's not such a good idea. hmmm...

any other suggestions for shared storage ? wonder if there is s/w for PC that allows you to read a MacOS drive format.

4. qveda thread starter macrumors regular

5. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

macdrive... hands down
    easy as pie.
    FAT32 is terrible.