Backup to iCloud and restore

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kendo88, Jun 7, 2011.

1. kendo88 macrumors regular

Just wondering if anybody has done this.

For a long time, I have been wanting to restore my phone and setup as a new phone (as its gone a little slow recently, it probably includes data from 3 years ago when I had a iPhone 3G)

Now that iCloud apparently backs up app data, that sounds great.

So my question is, If I install iOS 5 and then restore from backup using iTunes, then perform an iCloud backup, then restore the iPhone but this time restore from iCloud backup, would everything come back.

Basically, can anybody confirm it does backup app data (game saves etc)

2. SethG911 macrumors newbie

Yes it does upload app data, and it does it on an individual basis. Letting you check on and off data for certain apps. When you turn off an app it asks if you want to turn off and delete the data for that app from the cloud. Once data is uploaded to the cloud it stays on there until you turn the setting to off. Even if you delete an app and its data from the phone, the setting stays on the phone and the data stays in the cloud until you turn the setting to off. Even if you do a system restore to defaults and pull down from the cloud, the settings for all apps backed up to the cloud show up in the settings. I have tried and confirmed this on many occasions already. It is pretty much the perfect way of storing app data.

Also as another note, the setting I have turned off for camera roll there is some confusion about. You CAN back up all photos and videos and store them permanently on the cloud, and it does go against the 5GB quota. The Photo Stream option however, syncs your latest 1000's pics across all devices (each pic with a shelf life of 30 days) and does not count against the quota. Hopefully that helps clear up that issue. :apple:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/photolva.jpg/

3. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Does this mean if I update to iOS 5 and use iCloud to savge app data, I could then setup my phone as new and simply download my app data again? If so, iCloud sounds more useful than I originally thought.

EDIT: Does anyone know if this would save text messages as well? Are they counted as app data?

4. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

I would say yes, but it's just a guess.

5. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

If this is true, this is huge. I've been waiting for years to be able to restore as new and retain all my game data. I will be restoring as new on a regular basis now. Probably 2 or 3 times a year.

6. Larsennet macrumors member

Lets say you have a large game (call it game number 1) 1GB and you have a lot of time in it and the save backs up to the cloud. Now your done with it for a while and remove the game and load something else (game number 2). I believe when you remove the original game it also removes the save from the device. So you played game number 2 for awhile but want to play and continue game 1 so you delete game number 2 and re-load game number 1. Will it automatically restore the save for game number 1 from the cloud? I don't see a way to restore other than reload the whole device.

7. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

I would like to know if you can choose specific devices for an app.

What I mean is this:

Say I have an app that is universal, which I purchased on my iPad. And I have another universal app that I purchased on my iPhone. Will these be stored separately? So when I do a "restore" on my iPad, it only loads the iPad apps, and same for the iPhone? I don't want this particular iPhone app on my iPad, nor do I want the iPad app on my iPhone.

Basically, I don't want all of my apps to be the same on all of my devices.

Is this possible with iCloud? Because from the way it sounds to me, it sounds like the purpose is to "sync" all of your devices together (which is the exact opposite of what I want, at least apps-wise). I would like contacts, calendar, mail, stuff like that synced between devices, but I only want apps synced to individual devices.

I had this problem when I restored my iPad... iTunes wanted to restore all of my apps to it, even my iPhone apps. Bad iTunes, bad! :mad:

Anyone know? Thanks!

8. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

They are! :D I was just doing some reading up about iCloud and it says iCloud backs up your:
    Purchased music, apps, and books
    Photos and video in the Camera Roll
    Device settings
    App data
    Home screen and app organization
    Text and MMS messages
    Ringtones

In bold are the things I'm most excited about as it means I'll be able to set up my iPhone as a new phone for the first time since I first bought it.

9. Sixtafoua macrumors 6502

Sixtafoua

I'm most excited about app data being backed up, this is really great, considering that every time I want to restore, I have to email all my app data (notes, drawings, pages documents). I'm getting close to 100 pages documents, and I have more than 250 notes saved on my iPad, so this is an arduous process. iCloud is going to be amazing.

10. buyshalom macrumors newbie

Has any one figured out how to use the restore the device with icloud?

the tethed JB sunk my IOS 5 so I had to restore. there wasn't an option to restore from icloud (only to setup icloud). Now that my phone is stock ios5, how do i get it to restore the backed up data from icloud?

11. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

This is just great! I read about the existence of these features in iCloud, but to hear them from someone who has actually tested it and confirmed it's working is great.

12. buyshalom macrumors newbie

13. kurosov macrumors 6502a

Im surprised most game devs haven't set up iCloud integration funny. having backups is one thing but having your game save data synced across all devices automatically (even from the mac app store) would be much better.

Would also allow people to delete a single game then add it back any time without loosing progress.

14. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Why even delete the game data? It's so small in size that it doesn't matter. Then, how would you go about adding it back? Currently, there isn't a way to pull certain app data from iCloud.