Backup to iTunes iPhone 8

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rich74, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Rich74 macrumors regular

Hi,

Macbook Pro, iTunes 12.7, iPhone 8.

When I plug the phone into iTunes, it no longer syncs / backs-up automatically like it used to. I have to manually click the button.

When I plug in my iPad Pro or iPod Touch, both of these sync and back up automatically.

What have I done to cause this?

Thanks.

2. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

You can blame iTunes 12.7 for this cause it rips off backup and restore feature of iOS devices to a bare bone level. There is a thread on forum criticizing and asking questions related to iTunes 12.7.
    I don’t know why your iPad can be auto backed up though. Are they on iOS 11 as well?

3. Rich74 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes indeed, all three devices are now on 11.1.

Weird isn't it - either all of them should behave the same way or none of them - that's why I thought I was missing a setting on the iPhone 8.

4. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

iPhone 8 is the latest. I doubt this could be the reason. I believe your iPads are not the latest in terms of product release date. Or, if you can, check iTunes device backup setting. In old version of iTunes there is a setting that allows you to periodically backup each time you are connecting device to your computer. Idk the new version but I assume it does not have that option, meaning it is impossible for new device to set local backup, a huge oversight, arrogance and ignorance from Apple.

5. Rich74 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, you're probably correct about iTunes maybe they'll bring it back in version 13...