Backup useless!!!! All data gone on restore

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Scott6666, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Well, my phone crashed hard while trying to update apps wirelessly (taking all day long to try it). Did a restore from my "backup" and ALL the personal data was gone.

Particularly frustrating is how long the stupid syncs take with backing up that the data is not there when you need it.

Examples:
    Favorite phone numbers, gone
    Budget, all tracking of July's expenses gone!

Particularly for apps, the designers need to have a way to sync off the phone to either the mac or to some server in the sky. Can't trust the back up.

2. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Just curious -- During any of your recent backups, did you ever click on the "x" to stop one of them, because you had just done a backup recently, and didn't see the point of doing another one so soon?

3. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

I've not had this problem but I've noticed one minor issue is sometimes during a restore (Done about 6 now) that ringtone settings for contacts are gone which is an annoyance but not that bad.

4. Scott6666 thread starter macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Nope, not a one. I let them go - all 30 mins to an hour per.

That's part of the reason this is so frustrating.

I have since this backup tried the trick in another thread on how to speed up backups by excluding crash reports.

5. Scott6666 thread starter macrumors 65816

Scott6666

So you actually recovered all the app "personal" data?

6. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

Yes Sir, I was able to fire up Aurora with my current level progression as I played since the last backup. I tend to backup when I get home from work to charge my phone to full charge before the night out and also in the morning prior to work if any new app updates had come out.

7. Scott6666 thread starter macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Well, I'm not saying it never works or in fact it may work 90%+ of the time. Still, it sure does suck when that small % of failure does happen; especially considering there is no way that I know of to either (i) confirm the viability of a back-up or (ii) make other steps to store data in a place that I would know it's safe.

I think we need to encourage app makers to find ways to sync data with a Mac so we have another source of the data than purely the russian roulette apple back-up system.

Just a warning to all; becareful what you store on the phone apps. They are not all recoverable when something goes wrong.

8. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I'd second this. Having gone from the UK to Brussels and back, having roaming on, I came back to the UK to find all my SMS's had just gone. Nothing like the brick of a phone N73, which i've still got 2 years worth on.