Backup utility that supports FAT32 or NTFS volumes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Hellhammer, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Was just wondering that are there any backup apps similar to Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper that support formats others than HFS+. I did search via MRoogle but couldn't find anything. I would just like to have an automated backup of my home folder that can be accessed with a PC as well

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just curious... why not use CCC or SuperDuper?

3. Hellhammer thread starter Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

They do not support FAT32 or NTFS volumes, at least in my experience. When I try to select my FAT32 partition as the target of the backup, it asks me to open Disk Utility and format the drive to HFS+.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're right. I never noticed. I have an NTFS external drive that I use to back up part of my iTunes library and thought I had used CCC to create it, but it appears not.

5. sup3r1or macrumors regular

I also want to know one more thing, I want to reinstall my system (cuz it lags like hell) but I want to be able to partially restore somethings from my backup not the whole system. Any recommendation for apps?

I want to know that as well! Please anyone

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

CCC only stopped supporting FAT a couple versions ago. It's the reason why I no longer have it installed. I just use the rsync command now, which works really well. Can be setup with cron for automated backups.

7. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel