Backup Windows files on Mac side using MacDrive and Chronosync?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by 4v4nti, Aug 12, 2012.

1. 4v4nti macrumors newbie

I recently made the PC-to-Mac switch... with some drag.

My current workflow still requires me to rely on PC softwares and I would like to include those work files into a singular mac backup instead of a mac and windows backup. To do this, I need to use MacDrive for Windows so that I can save my stuff on the HFS+ and proceed to backup with Chronosync.

The files at stake are .3dm and .max files, from Rhinoceros and 3ds Max, respectively.

Has anyone done this before, and how stable is it to go back and forth between NTFS and HFS+ on a daily basis?

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Do you not have the Boot Camp drivers installed? I can easily push files to my Mac drive from Windows...

3. jdelgado macrumors regular

I have a similar workflow. I use regularly PC software and backup everything on the Mac side. I use VMWare or Parallels and keep my working files in shared folders.
    I have backup copies of the VM, which I update every 2-3 months. If they go bad, I just re-install Windows, its updates and the PC software.
    On the Mac side, I run Chronosync and CCC regularly. PC files are included here along with the Mac files. It works as a regular Mac backup solution. I do not include here the VMs because of their size (30-60GB), which take too long to backup.
    I do not use Bootcamp, but I assume one can run a backup from Windows and save the files into a shared drive with the Mac, and then let the Mac backup workflow take care of the windows files.

My PC-side files include DLLs along with other types of files, which I regularly share with other PC-only users. I have had no issues.

4. 4v4nti thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies.

I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to set up an Automator script that can move folders/files from the Windows partition to the Mac partition?