Backup with iTunes does not restore Music Added from Media Monkey

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brother Esau, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Brother Esau macrumors 6502

Hey this is annoying!!! anytime I upgrade Firmware or restore the Phone I make a backup prior to doing either but iTunes does not backup & restore my Music on my iPhone that was sent to the iPhone via Media Monkey.

Is there anyway to configure iTunes where it will maintain my Music Library through the backup/restore feature even though it was sent to the iPhone through Media Monkey?

Yea I know what you all are going to say.....why dont i just use iTunes for this?

Why? Because iTunes SUCKS!!! I have allot of Live Grateful Dead Shows from when we used to tape the shows back in the 80's & 90's and trying to use iTunes to create Playlists where each show is in its own folder is a ridiculous amount of work & the songs are never in numeric hierarchy the way they should be even after the retarded amout of work you need to do just to use iTunes for this process!

Media Monkey is simplistic and all I need to do is just open a Show folder and send all of the songs to the Playlist I create via copy past...thats it!

I did all of the ADC & RE-Mastering on these shows years ago so they are already in digital format & Trans coded to VBR MP3 for the iPhone. Using iTunes its as much work almost as originally remastering the the shows (not quite) but a major pain in the ass and 18 steps more than required with Media Monkey!

Is there anyway to Back up my Music even though its not in the iTunes Library?

Anyone know or have experience with third Party Media Apps and how to achieve the results that I need and want?

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

You're annoyed iTunes won't backup files thats not in its library and was put on the iPhone via a third party software not supported by Apple?

Maybe you should start using DoubleTwist or something.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

iTunes only backs-up the data of games/apps, settings and photos in the camera roll, nothing else.

This is nothing new and their's no way around this.

4. Brother Esau thread starter macrumors 6502

Well yes I am! A backup is a backup of the device Apps, contacts, media , etc
    it should not take prejudice just because the media on your iphone is not in the iTunes Library!

Quite honestly I love the iPhone but Mac is just entirely too proprietary actually a thousand fold over Microsoft.....you guys must have been home sick with a cold when they were discussing the Bill Of Rights in School specifically the the "Freedom Of Choice". would you like it if I told you you had to wear Purple shoes with Flowers & polka dots on them? Moreover, hows about If I told you had no choice in the matter....would you wear them?

Only if the Order came from Apple????? Understand the insanity of the Logic inflicted & imposed on most of the people on this forum? Stupid isn't it?

I tell you man we are breeding some really complacent people these days!

5. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

If the content isn't in the iTunes library, how would it be put back on the device if you're restoring from a backup and iTunes doesn't know where the source files are? Think about that.

6. Brother Esau thread starter macrumors 6502

Somewhat Valid point! But in 2010 with the vast technology we have I see no reason why The "Backup" would not include the music files already on the device in the "Backup Image" Created when you select Backup Iphone??? The point of creating a backup is to HAVE A RESCUE IMAGE on hand in case something happens or goes wrong hence the word "Backup":rolleyes:

Besides the Backup Created is not dependent on whats in the iTunes Library and also generally speaking once backed up it would be added to backup images under devices in Preferences which is independent from everything else in iTunes!

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

Freedom of choice has nothing to do with how iTunes or iPods work.

Can you quote something in the Bill of Rights that mentions this?

8. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

Why should the backup include media? You're duplicating files that already exist on the machine. It would make the backup files huge (16-32GB without compression) and make the sync process take longer.

9. Brother Esau thread starter macrumors 6502

Quite honestly that's a response I expect from a Kid & not a man at your age old-wiz

10. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I'm with old-wiz on this. Esau, it appears that you have no idea what the Bill of Rights is. There is no section pertaining to "Freedom of Choice," unless you are referring to the 1st Amendment. Even then, you are incorrect. The 1st Amendment gives the American People the freedoms of speech, press, the right to assemble peacefully, and the right to petition grievances. Specifically, it prevents Congress from enacting laws that prevent the above.

Please cite your source for "Freedom of Choice" from the Bill of Rights. I'm curious where you believe this is.

11. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Feature request for backup to touch your Media Monkey. Check.

12. Brother Esau thread starter macrumors 6502

So what you are saying is that none of the outlined Facts above Grant Us the Freedom of Choice?

Everything is based upon individual interpretation & perception of the individual:)
    But I would definitely have to say that our First Amendment Most Certainly Provides us with the Freedom Of Choice ;)

13. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I'm sorry, but what you say and think regarding this is wrong. The 1st Amendment does not guarantee you a freedom of choice. You can interpret it however you like, but you are still incorrect. The 1st Amendment only guarantees that Congress will not enact laws that prohibit the freedom of speech, press, the right to assemble peacefully, and the right to petition grievances.

I fail to see how you can get "freedom of choice" from any of that. "Choice" is not speech, certainly not press, and definitely not a peaceful assembly. Nor is it a petition of a grievance.

I'd suggest doing a bit more research into the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and/or any other laws you wish to quote in order to make sure you are using them effectively.

14. old-wiz macrumors G3

I'd be willing to bet quite a bit that no constitutional lawyer would agree with your definiton of Freedom of Choice relative to the Bill of Rights.

15. MacNewbie03 macrumors regular

MacNewbie03

Perhaps the OP was thinking of the Declaration of Independence?:rolleyes:

16. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

If your not happy with the way things work you have the freedom of choice to pick another phone solution.

17. Brother Esau thread starter macrumors 6502

what ever man......go troll some kid thats willing to fight and argue with you.
    My opinion is just that, its mine & if you don't like it well that's just too bad now isn't it!

Sorry I don't Like Liars... I mean Lawyers...No I mean Liars:D

18. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

It appears that you are the one doing the arguing and stomping your feet in a temper tantrum when you aren't getting what you want. Also, I believe you misunderstand what "trolling" is - it's not correcting a poor argument, as you seem to think.

Your "its mine and if you don't like it, too bad" attitude is shared by Apple - iTunes is their software, and if you don't like it - too bad! You knew exactly what you were getting into with your hardware purchase, but you did it anyways. I don't believe you have anything to complain about.

Enjoy your iPhone! :)

19. admanimal macrumors 68040

It would be a pointless waste of space for 99.99% of users who only use iTunes to get music onto their device. If I have 30 GB of music on my phone, I don't need a huge 30GB backup file on my computer when all of the music is already there. iTunes copies exactly enough info so that everything on the device can be restored using both the device backup file and the files in your iTunes library.

And your Freedom of Choice thing is a joke.

20. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I've got well over 100 live audio boots and have never had a problem with tagging them correctly. Tagging your music isn't "work"... when you add an album of unreleaed, unofficial material to iTunes, how is it supposed to know what the tracks are? You tag them, and if you're using one of many different audio containers, the tags will live in the file. You do it once and you're set. My songs are neatly categorized, tagged, etc. iTunes stashes them away according to artist/album folders, names them correctly, etc. I'm not saying you should love or even like iTunes, but I don't get why tagging your music is an issue. Don't you have to tag your files with Mediamonkey?

I also find creating playlists simple: click the add button down at the bottom and drag as few or as many items as I want to the playlist.

I'm not saying this is your particular case, but many times, the most complaints I see about iTunes are less about it's shortcomings and more about uneducated users.

As for the backup...how hard can it be to get the songs back on the iPhone? Just fire up iTunes, open up Mediamonkey, create the playlists in iTunes that are in Mediamonkey, and drag the contents in a playlist from Mediamonkey to the same playlist in iTunes. Then sync your iPhone.

Either that or just try to learn and appreciate iTunes. I tried way back in the day to avoid iTunes because I thought the way it managed and tagged media was awful. Man, was I wrong, I use other programs now and have no clue why I didn't start using iTunes sooner.

21. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

You are not being forced to use the iPhone - you chose to use it.

And as Apple doesn't support 3rd party solutions, their current backup method is fine (namely, that while it will backup playlists, it doesn't back up the music which supposedly is in your iTunes library already) and keeps back up file sizes to a minimal size.

You should really study constitutional law, I think, to understand the legal precedents you seem to be wanting to ignore :p

At this rate, you come across as one of those people who would complain about your freedom of speech being violated if you got modded here.