Backup

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tom.brandammo, Oct 6, 2009.

1. tom.brandammo macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I am looking to set up one place that i can back up all of our employees work files to one shared place. Ideally it would automatically see what files are already there and just back up and new files and directories created since the last backup.

I hope this makes sense and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum :confused:

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Do you run an office with all macs? This is information that is useful to most respondents.

3. tom.brandammo thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Adam0306 macrumors regular

Adam0306

The best way that I know of is just use Time Machine. It backs up data to a drive by the MAC address. The first will be a Full backup and then incremental after that. It allows you to access data and restore single files or the entire computer from either an External Hard Drive or Network Drive. In your case the Network drive would be ideal for you.

5. tom.brandammo thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Adam, Thanks for your reply

I currently have 2 Airport base stations that do what you have mentioned. They are great for temporary backups.

But when they are full they start to erase the oldest information to make room for the new. Also, they are separate to each computer, so its very hard to manage as an overall archive of all our completed work.

6. Adam0306 macrumors regular

Adam0306

The only solution really to being full is much more space. Also if you combine all the computers to one Network drive then you can get all of the backups on one drive but you will need a larger drive.