BACKUPFILES won't open because they're arn't supported by architecture

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ninja robot, Dec 11, 2008.

1. ninja robot macrumors newbie

hello
    i just backed up my files because i needed to reformat my hard drive. But now all of my backed up .app files will not open becasue it says the application isn't supported on this architecture.i used Memeo lifeagent to backup the files
    can anyone help me?
    and what does that mean?
    thanks

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Some apps contain all necessary files it needs to run within the app itself, while others install other files usually into an Application Support folder or elsewhere that can be rquired for it to run. Basically, some apps can be drag/dropped to reinstall while others need to be installed via it's original installer.

Architecture? Are you trying to run the apps from the external drive? Could be formatted as NTFS/FAT or something and giving you that weird error. Quite possibly, it could be the app you used to backup the files screwed them up a little. I'm not familiar with the Lifeagent software, but if it's the one that came with your harddrive then I personally have never had any good luck with any of those apps. I either stick to Super Duper/Disk Utility to clone, and otherwise will go through the time to reinstall apps when possible (I really love a fresh install. I go through the process at least once a year and will even go out of my way to download/install new/fresh versions of apps I have backedup).

Usually apps you have downloaded, like Firefox, will do fine being drag/dropped to a new system, but many if not most of Apple's default apps will need to be reinstalled.

3. ninja robot thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm noting running them off the ext hard drive i have copyed the files onto my desktop. but im still getting the problem.so looks like the software that i used to back up my files did this . It is good having a nice and clean hard drive :p it did get reed of alot of the software that i dont use anymore.
    thanks man

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

To make sure, reinstall one of the apps giving you the error from the web/cd. If it works fine it was most likely due to the backup software and you'll be fine. =)

5. ninja robot thread starter macrumors newbie

it is the backup software lame. it even broke the apps in get with leopard like chess and address book
    cheers dude