Backups - Applications

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tjb1, Nov 11, 2010.

1. tjb1 macrumors 68000

What folders do you need to backup to keep an application working as if you installed it? Ex. - I install new os x and want to move all the applications but dont want to install them, what folders need to be moved without moving OS files? All the application support folders and everything? Anyone have a list of these?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What applications are you talking about? It varies from application to application. For the simple ones if you don't mind re-doing all of your preferences you can just drag and drop the icon to a thumb drive and then on to the new machine. For more complex applications like Office it's almost always better to just reinstall them.

3. tjb1 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well I was looking for an easy way to install all applications to a new drive without cloning. I prefer clean os installs when doing new drives :) but its going to be 1-2 months before that drive is in the process of installing.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

A good rule of thumb is to reinstall all applications that were originally installed from a disc from the same disc. The applications you downloaded and drag/dropped from a disk image can just be copied over.