BACKUPS for IOS7 upgrade

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by pr0230, Sep 27, 2013.

1. pr0230 Suspended

I have an iPad gen4 and Ipodtouch 5g, that I would like to do a FULL backup B 4 I upgrade to IOS 7.... Unfortunately I only see backup to THIS computer...

Well I have a Mini mac that I usually plug the ipad and ipodtouch to and acesss with Itunes. I also have a 3TB drive connected to the mini mac....

How do I poiint the backup to the 3TB drive.... Im just thinking , should I uninstall itunes and reinstall it... sorry thinking out loud...

I want all backup activity to go to the external drive...

2. Eau Rouge macrumors regular

Unfortunately, iTunes has never allowed you to set the location for device backups. I believe they're just put into ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup.

If you're comfortable with the terminal, you can get around this by copying your existing backups to your external disk and then creating a symlink from the local backup location to wherever you stuck your backups on the external disk.

3. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Backups, unlike media, are a Library item. So they stay on the computer.

4. pr0230 thread starter Suspended

Ok

Darn....

5. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Is it really that big of a deal. It's not that huge of a file and you are doing it as a precaution anyway. After the restore you may end up just deleting it anyway.

Remember that none of your media etc is going to be in there. Just texts, notes that aren't tagged to a syncing service, your camera roll (which could probably use a clean out anyway before you backup) and app data. Is it really that much that it's an issue to have it on your harddrive

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I used this method to move the default backup location to a different (larger) drive.