Backups of just certain files?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BilltheCat, Apr 21, 2007.

1. BilltheCat macrumors regular

BilltheCat

I have read about superdooper and retrospect but I don't really want entire drive images. I just want to back up music files and documents, keychains and that sort of thing. Home directory type stuff.

What can I use to backup just those certain files to my external drive?

and I note that OSX doesnt call my ext drive "D" or "E" or like windoze/ It just calls it ext drive. If I had more than one or multiple partitions would it just call the drives ext drive 1 and extdrive 2 and so on?

2. Trogloxene macrumors regular

I would suggest you just view a folder by date and drag over the new files manually. Have the same folder window open on your external drive. Easy, simple, quick.

-T

3. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

iBackup will do what you want. The interface is not as simplistic as SupderDuper! but it is still a neat little app. It will update changed files too but I would love SupderDuper! to have a feature for specific files and folders.

Yeah, none of this "E:, C:" malarkey. You can rename the drive to anything you wish as far as I know. I'm not 100% sure if you can do it anytime but certainly when formatting in Disk utility (Applications>Utilities) you can name it, and any partitions, anything you wish. For instance, my Macbook HDD is called "Macbook Drive" and my backup external drives are "Lacie Drive backup" etc.

4. BilltheCat thread starter macrumors regular

BilltheCat

iBackup starts out like an ideal app for my intel iMac. But then it causes the computer to pull a bill gates and crash with a note in the center of screen saying to press the power button to reboot.

Its done it twice. Some files made it across to the external drive but it cannot seem to get it all done without crashing my computer.

The ext drive not fast enough maybe? Seagate 120gig ata drive. Using firewire to connect.

bummer.

5. justG macrumors member

justG

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Retrospect can do incremental backups as well as disk or volume duplication, over networks or locally, with internal drives or removable media. It can also include or exclude specific file types, folders and other parameters, its set-up options for scripts are very flexible.

[​IMG]

Note: This screenshot is from a three year-old version... v6.1.126, later versions may look different or offer even more functionality seeing as Dantz were bought out by EMC Insignia.

Hope that's of some clarification.

7. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

Obviously you haven't read enough about superduper, it will do exactly what you require, with the miniumum of fuss.

8. BilltheCat thread starter macrumors regular

BilltheCat

the problem with superduper is that it likes to crash merciously on my imac. iBackup did also.

I settled on silverkeeper from LaCie which runs perfectly and is easy and powerful. It does not crash. It is also freeware.

Silverkeeper for me!