Backups & OS 3.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Aaleck, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

I would like to re-test out 3.0 since I know I can get back too 2.2.1 whenever I need too but I have a question that hopefully someone, or everyone, if I'm just incompetent, could answer...

Lets say you have a backup in 2.2.1, then you upgrade to 3.0b4 then use it for a while then backup again. I've read (never confirmed this, thought I was lucky) that once you do this, the backup will be made unusable if you try to use that backup while in 2.2.1, if you ever downgraded.

Question is: How could you upgrade to 3.0b4, use the backup from 2.2.1 and then after that, create a whole different backup for the 3.0 version, so you would have two backups of basically the same thing, but for different versions.... of course, whatever you did in 3.0 (sms, notes, etc. wouldn't be there in the 2.2.1 backup)

I've also found the location of the backup's, but I'm assuming if you just copied the folder and put an extra letter on the already long file name and then remove it when you need it, that it wouldn't work... or would it?

Any solutions or am I just spinning my tires? Thanks for reading! :)

2. Aaleck thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

3. Aaleck thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

I guess I found out a simple solution for this problem... the only one that I figured out. I used my PC (or any second computer) and plugged in my phone, didn't sync or anything and just created a new backup with it... then if and when I need it, I'll just restore from that then go back to the Mac.

Just in case anyone searches for this. :p