Backups Taking Forever? Here is a FIX.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rat-Boy, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

If this has been posted already, I apologize.

Do ALL the steps. Do not skip a single one:

1) Bring up iTunes

2) Edit/Preferences, Click on the last tab, sync, and disable auto sync for all iPod and iPhones. This does not fix it it is just the first step do not stop here.

3) Next connect your iPhone to the computer.

4) Once it shows up in iTunes go into the last tab Applications.

5) Uncheck sync all apps.

6) Click apply.

7) Now click sync and it will remove all the applications from your phone. Don't panic. This is expected and wanted.

8) After it is finished unplug the iPhone.

9) I bet you will have at least one app still on the Iphone, maybe more.

10) Hold any icon down until they jiggle.

11) Tap the x's and delete all the remaining apps.

12) You may notice after you delete each app that a little spinning circle is next just to the right of your signal icon. Let it finish spinning before you delete the next app.

13) Once you have deleted all the remaining apps (That had corrupt data that was causing your long back ups!) do a hard reset. To do this hold the sleep/wake button and the home button until the red slider appears at the top of the screen. Slide it over and the phone will power off. You will again notice the spinning circle. Once it finishes wait a few seconds and power the iPhone back on by pressing the sleep/wake button.

14) While it is booting back up go into iTunes again turn the auto sync back on!

15) Now connect the iPhone to the computer, let it backup and sync. It should be much faster.

16) Now after it finishes go back to the applications tab.

17) Click sync apps again, but make sure you have the 2nd circle checked. This box is sync selected apps. Make sure all the boxes are unchecked!

18) Now slowly begin adding apps back to the iPhone. No more than 5 at a time. Check the boxes then click apply, then sync. Then add a few more, click apply, then sync. Repeat until all apps are on that you want. It will backup then add the applications and sync all other information.

Here is the kicker! DO NOT update or install apps from the phone! Only use iTunes to install and or update apps until they get the bug fixed!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Or you can just follow the simple steps over at TUAW to not automatically do backups. They you just need to right-click on the phone in iTunes to force a backup once in a while.

TEG

3. Rat-Boy thread starter macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Got a link to that process?

Also, even if you do that, when you DO do a backup, you will still have to wait forever due to corrupted applications.

4. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

I only let it backup when I charge it at night so it doesn't matter.

I just don't get the big deal, click the "x" when you are just trying to sync something and let it backup when you have time.

Nothing backsup quickly, try it on any computer...

5. D3lta macrumors 6502a

Link please.

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

7. Rat-Boy thread starter macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Yup, that will work.

But that seems like putting a band-aid on the real problem to me.

I am doing both. :D

8. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I have suspected this for a long time. I think there are 2 issues, this one and the crash files that Apple wants to upload everytime.

That is not a fix.

9. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

I ONLY update my apps on my phone. Why? Because iTunes keeps multiple copies of updated apps and routinely installs an older version in it's place.

I refuse to use iTunes to manage updates until this is fixed.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Mmmm, iTunes updates break my iPod every time.

And my backups only back up changes.

11. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

back up doesn't bother me anymore...I always hit the x when I see it...I only let it do a full backup if I changed something major on the phone