Backups ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by geta, Aug 20, 2010.

1. geta macrumors 6502a

im planing to upgrade my MBP 13" 2.53GHz with a second HD (optibay), so HD 1 - system (SSD), HD 2- home folder (500GB 7200rpm).

at the moment im using SuperDuper as my backup app, and what i would like to know is when i backup,do i need to backup each HD separately, or i can just backup the system HD, since the home folder is part if it ?

2. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I think you need to explain your question a bit more. What do you mean exactly? Do you want backup suggestions, or...?

3. geta thread starter macrumors 6502a

:D:D:D
    i was posting it by accident before i was finishing my question.....
    check out my first post again...

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

First post:

What do you want to know? How to backup your original internal HDD? Or how to backup the HDD in the OptiBay? Or how to backup in general?

Could you be more specific?

You can edit your posts via the [​IMG] button, like I just did to insert the following quote:

If your Home folder is on the second HDD and you only make a clone of the first HDD, where Mac OS X resides on, you will not backup your Home folder, as it resides on the second HDD.

5. geta thread starter macrumors 6502a

i think i need to lern how to post first... :D
    i just tried to fix my post, and by accident i open new one...
    i will copy my new post to here, and maybe some can tell me how to close the new one ?

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

7. geta thread starter macrumors 6502a

tnx for the help,

so how can i make one backup\clone for the all system, if its going to be on 2 HD's?
    HD 1 - system + programs, small SSD (+\- 128GB)
    HD 2 - home folder (user library, music, movies, desktop, downloads and my logic projects), 500GB 7200rpm.

the reason i want to go this way, is coz of the read\write problems with SSD's, like this most of the read\writes will be on the second HD.

im asking this coz when i need to restart form my backup\clone ex HD, i think i need to have the home folder there as well... or since the system know all ready that the home folder is on the second HD, al so the backup\clone HD will find it if i need to restart form it?
    :confused::confused::confused:

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Get an external HDD big enough to make a backup of both the internal SSD and HDD.

After that, partition the external HDD to your liking and use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to backup the SSD to one partition and the HDD to another partition on the external HDD.

Partition Your Hard Drive With Disk Utility

9. geta thread starter macrumors 6502a

this is what i was thinking to do, now the question is when i will restart form ex HD, the first partition (SSD\system) will see\recognize the second partition (home folder) or the second HD, all so if i just need to reinstall the system HD only with out the home folder (second HD) ?

10. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Sorry, but I'm really not understanding this question. I understand the rest of the thread and I agree with spinnerlys' advice that you've quoted, but I don't follow your post.