Baclklight burnt out, am I able to replace? (Please read first)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shenfrey, Jun 27, 2013.

1. shenfrey macrumors 68000

So half of my keyboards backlight is burnt out - not completely, just a lot, lot dimmer. I wish to get this fixed, however because I opened up my laptop to remove the cd drive in replacement for an optibay, I have voided my warranty. So how much do these things cost, and could apple fix it?

Thanks guys.

I HATE topic spelling mistakes, sorry guys I am on my iPad. Backlight on my keyboard is what I was suppose to say : )

2. falconeight Guest

falconeight

they will replace it and usually carry the part in store.

3. ecschwarz macrumors 65816

ecschwarz

You could put the optical drive back at least for the course of the repair. Generally, they'd want to replace the entire top case (not as easy or cheap as the pre-unibody days)

4. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

please put the original component before you claim the warranty :D
    I have speak to authorized service center apple in my country, they said when u upgrade some component, like HDD/RAM and then you got problem, u just need put the original component and going to service center :D

5. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Having thought about it, its not that big of a deal breaker really. I will just live with it for the time being, my laptop still works. I don't really wanna open it back up again.

Thanks anyway guys.

6. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Echoing that some components are user serviceable and will not void your warranty automatically if worked on. If there's a service guide for it online, you're fine.