Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
jared_kipe said:
I'm soo down with the turkey bacon.
Did you have to mention that horrible word, turkey? We're still trying to finish off those Thanksgiving leftovers and it's not going well. I've had turkey with gravy, turkey soup, turkey and jelly sandwiches, turkey Jello, turkey cobbler, turkey milkshakes, etc., and we still haven't come to the bottom of the Tupperware! :(

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
OCOTILLO said:
Just the thought of turkey bacon, burgers, sausage, etc. makes me nauseous. If you can't have the real thing, why bother?

I have no problem with turkey burger or turkey sausage. Turkey sausage can be mighty tasty. I disagree with the pulping and processing and extruding of turkey to look like bacon and then coloring it and spiking with nitrates to sorta almost taste like bacon.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
thin lean British bacon, english muffin (they have another name, but thats what Sainsbury's call em!), real butter - lots of it, HP or BBQ sauce. Bacon under the grill until the tips are just getting a tiny bit black, switch the oven off, stick the muffins in a toaster for 2 minutes (so they're just crunchy) whilst the bacon dries up. and eat.

For the daring among try small sausages sliced in half, or scrambled egg. OR try both :eek:
A slice of heaven. of course you need an orange and mango smoothie to balance the good and bad.

thats my brekfast/dinner usually. or Marks & Spencers Triple Chocolate Crunch cereal... when they say "It's not just food, is M&S food" they are so bloody right.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Ed H said:
One thing i love is the large scallops wrapped in bacon and then slapped on the grill mmmmm

I want summer back... damn this thread..

Ed
Come to New England, you can eat scallops wrapped in bacon every day :D
Interesting note, the clam chowdah (not that red-colored **** from new york, I mean the real mccoy) were I work has some bacon in it. Unfortunately, there's other things in there that make it taste a bit odd.

Anyone else have a hankering for a scotch egg? :confused:

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
OCOTILLO said:
Just the thought of turkey bacon, burgers, sausage, etc. makes me nauseous. If you can't have the real thing, why bother?
I think Turkey bacon tastes better, so it isn't about the real thing to me. Bacon is only good if its lean and cooked right, for instance I enjoy the Arby's Ultimate BLT.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
When bacon is cooked properly and isn't too fatty it is awesome. I love BLT sandwiches. :)

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
iGary said:
This thread is depressing. I see a lot of posters I miss. :(
Well, ClayJ seems to be back. But you've been missing for a while now. You're not in jail are you? :p

On topic: About bacon, it causes cancer. I don't eat the stuff. Pigs are too closely related to humans. It's like cannibalism! :eek:
Here's to the Crazy Ones

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Gotta give it up for my favorite sandwich: the BLAT (bacon, lettuce, avocado and tomato). A little mayo, some romaine lettuce, and some lightly toasted whole wheat bread. Mmm, perfection.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
pimentoLoaf said:
Bacon doesn't cause cancer. The stuff that preserves it might if taken in excess.

A bacon cheese toastie, drizzled with Worchestershire sauce, seems about right for lunch today.

That's why I buy natural, dry-rubbed, uncured bacon. Now I hope I don't have an increased risk for botulism... (the reason the preserves are in the bacon, according to the article in your link)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I had bacon on my Sam's Club pizza the other day. That was extra yummy because of it. It's always nice to have just a little bit.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
While on vacation this past week I stayed at a hotel that included a wonderful breakfast buffet. As part of that buffet - you guessed it - hot crisp bacon. Not being one to make my own bacon very often, I was overwhelmed with joy as I munched crisp bacon delights each and every morning of my trip.

Ahhhhh.

Is it scary that as I took my first helping, I immediately thought of this thread? :eek: :D

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
takao said:
it just won't die ;)
You know what they say - pigs have 9 lives.

Oh, wait. Nevermind. :p

Some threads just need to come back now and then.

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
I did a search and was too lazy to get past the first couple pages of results...

I don't know if this has been mentioned but I've undergone yet another evolution in the cooking of my bacon. I call it my bacon because even though I will cook some for both me and my wife, I'll usually end up stealing hers. Anyways, back to the evolution...

First, I believed that the only way you could cook bacon properly was in a pan, cast iron of course, and preferably with a nice heavy bacon press, cooking in its own fat. Crispy? Yes. Delicious? Check. Unhealthy? It's cooked in its own fat, come on.

Next, I flirted briefly with the microwave. Those of you who subscribe to this method are only fooling yourselves that the finished product comes even within a mile of the aforementioned fried-in-its-own-fat method. Though seemingly healthier, the microwave method (even with a turntable microwave) was never able to replicate the consistent crispiness achieved with more "archaic" methods.

I then decided a compromise was in order: I would cook the bacon in its own fat, but not nearly as much so as was required before. How? With a flat counter-top griddle with grooves along the sides to channel the majority of the fat away from its surface. No, this was no George Foreman grill. This was a flat griddle that could accomodate french toast, pancakes, or eggs (over-easy of course) on one side while cooking the bacon on the other. There was only one problem with this method: the bacon took agonizingly longer to cook than most other foods did on the other side of the griddle. There were two solutions: 1) stagger the cooking to start the bacon first and the other food items later, or 2) take the next step in bacon cooking evolution. I tried the first, but found it too time-consuming and user-unfriendly having to monitor 8 things at once... I have ultimately taken the later step which I will describe below.

The next step of my bacon cooking evolution turned to an appliance that I had previously used to keep my bacon warm, while other items were cooking... the oven. Admittedly, part of this evolution in bacon cooking was inspired by Alton Brown (who cooks his bacon in the oven on thick slices of bread). While the bacon turns out beautifully through his method, your left with multiple slices of bread that usually go to waste. That's when one day, I saw it. My wife had just finished cooking a batch of chocolate chip cookies and had set them on a raised wire mesh grill to cool. That's when it hit me... cook the bacon on the wire mesh grill!

The next day, with my wife's mesh wire grill in my possession, I set my oven to 350 degrees, placed the mesh grill on a baking sheet (with sides, you don't want the fat to run off right?) and carefully laid my precious bacon down to cook. Approximately 10 minutes later, I tentatively opened the oven door and beheld one of the most beautiful sights seen by those of us in the Bacon thread: perfect bacon. Crisp, evenly cooked, deliciously browned, and free of fat (well most of it, there's always some that lingers on the top). Clean up was a breeze, a gentle scrubbing with a soapy sponge and the baking sheet was good to go. Additionally, minute adjustments over cooking time allows unprecedented control over the finished product with minimal supervision.

Is it possible that other methods might eventually rise to the occasion and even transcend this modified oven method? Sure. But if you've never tried cooking bacon in the oven, I recommend that you try it just once. With or without the mesh grill, the consistency of heat distribution and the control gained over the level of crispiness is hard to beat.

As Homer once said, "Mmmmmm, bacon."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.