Bacon

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by pimentoLoaf, Feb 22, 2004.

1. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Quoting myself from a post above :)

2. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

lol, completely missed that. Thanks :)

3. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

No problem whatsoever :D

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

A nice glass of bacon

I took Mrs. Q out to dinner and found this on the menu.

bacon-bloody.jpg

Then I took her out for ice cream and they were featuring this flavor.

brown-butter-candied-bacon.jpg

5. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Our pie for this fantastic Thanksgiving today is Pecan Bourbon Bacon. :D

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Somewhere out there, there's a recipe for Maple Bacon Cookies! Just heard of them today.

7. palmerc2 macrumors 68000

palmerc2

Love bacon. I recently read a funny saying that went something like this:

"There's people out there who don't eat bacon for religious reasons, I don't religion for bacon reasons"

8. Gregg2, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015

Gregg2 macrumors 603

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

The local Stacked Food Well Built restaurant now has Candied Bacon... oh man is it good. We ask for a side of chocolate to dip it into. Heaven!

10. Dekema2 macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

What's the best way to remove bacon fat? I hate it with the meat and don't like picking it off of pizza, casseroles, burgers, etc.

11. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

12. Gregg2 macrumors 603

In a bakery over the weekend, and I saw a long john with that caramel colored frosting and a strip of bacon on top. Didn't try one.

13. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

14. Anonymous Freak macrumors 603

Anonymous Freak

The best way to cook bacon to remove maximum fat, while leaving the meat portions tasty is to bake it in an oven on a wire rack, with a pan underneath to catch the drippings. Different sources have different opinions on temperature and time. From 400 degrees (F) for 15-20 minutes or 350 for 20-25 minutes, or 300 for 30 minutes, or even "170 for a couple hours" (although that wouldn't melt the fat, that's a method to KEEP the fat.)

The lower/slower will melt the fat away more evenly. And if you save the fat for cooking other things in, lower/slower will also produce "purer" fat, with almost no "crispy bits" in it.

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I can't remember if I posted in this thread or not...

But a couple of years ago, I remember flipping on the Food Network, right before an episode of Iron Chef. They were actually talking about subscriptions to the Bacon of the Month Club. They loved it, but I totally forgot about it until now. Now I see this thread again, and am thinking about it, especially since last year, the wife and I thought about making our own burgers. Now that we've replaced a number of our skillets with those from Le Creuset, especially our skillet griddle (which can also double as a panini press), we're thinking of doing our own Applewood Smoked Bacon and Cheddar burgers. We may even try Pecanwood smoked bacon, but am not sure how the taste may work.

Either way, that type of burger, with taking either a Sweet Mayan or Sweet Vidalia onion to a mandolin, and sautee that with mushrooms... throw all of that on a fresh or toasted Hawaiian burger bun, and you don't even need condiments!

Now, that I think about it, I wonder how that may go with a Walla Walla onion... Sorry everyone.. digressing here. Bacon!

Bacon of The Month club. Isn't a bad thing. I wish it were priced a bit less, but from what we saw of it, bloody hell that looked good!

BL.

16. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

It's fine as long as you don't eat bacon and processed meats every single day. I don't know anybody who does that.

17. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

This whole situation is a scathing indictment of media alarmism. A number of sources are comparing bacon consumption to smoking. Nobody is doing that.

This is more on the level of alcohol's carcinogenic tendancies, but at the same time, I'm not even sure WHAT about bacon (curing chemicals, I suppose) is toxic. Call it "processed meats", but until I know what "process" is causing the issue, I'm not particularly concerned when I eat nitrate free uncured bacon.

18. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

This has been known for 10 years. processed foods have nitrates which increase the risk of cancer. the need for instant gratification by the general public though will out-perform any warnings of detriment to health, no matter how urgent. the people who say "who cares ill die anyway" can enjoy swimming in their own fluids due the effects of heart failure after suffering multiple ischemic attacks, not to mention the increase carcinogenic risks.

19. Zenithal macrumors 603

I only buy one particular brand of bacon, Farmer John, thick cut. Simple stuff. There's this fantastic Asian grocery out in the valley that sells slabs of bacon fresh. You can either cure it yourself, have them slice it in thick cuts for you (tastes delicious pan fried) or you can slow smoke/cook it and chop it of for sandwiches. It does have the odd bone here and there though.

I've seen people who boil it part way, pat it dry and deep fry it in videos on YouTube. I've seen it done once at a fairground back in the 90s.

20. determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

Does anyone here eat right bacon? Is it just me but this brand's bacon is taking longer to cook for some reason?

21. Zenithal macrumors 603

I like left bacon more.

22. determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

LOL. oh my. I meant to type Wright bacon.

23. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I've eaten Wright bacon a few times, I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary when cooking it. It's a pretty tasty brand.