Bad 15" MPB: What to do?

macaddicted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
228
0
Down on Copperline...
Thanks for all who replied to my previous thread. Now I would like some advice. My new 15" MPB is on the list at Apple for a replacing the logic board (Apple tech support told me as much). Now the system is about 4 whole days out of the box and I'm really not sure what to do.

1. Send it to Apple. This means I won't have the system for at least a couple of weeks.

2. Exchange it. I could send it back to Amazon.com and hope that the one they send to me doesn't have the same problems.
2a. Buy a new one from Amazon and return the broken one. This is a slight modification of point 2. I'm a prime member so I could have it tomorrow.

3. Return it. It's obviously defective, between the logic board and the battery. I spoke to Amazon's customer support and they said there would be no restock charge.
3a. Return it and buy from somewhere else.

4. Return it and wait for Merom, which everyone seems to think will be out in two to three weeks.

If you have any other suggestions or opinions I would love to hear them.

TIA (thanks in advance)
 

meanpeoplesuck

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2006
59
0
Exchange it with Amazon, and have them send you a new one as soon as possible, if you have already spoken with them briefly about it.
 

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
12,255
1,333
If you need it ASAP, I'd do 2a (buy another new one via Prime (so you get it tomorrow) and return the old one for a full refund).

If you can live without it for awhile, I'd go with 4 and wait to see what happens.
 

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
802
0
I don't know how much you need a new computer, but if I were in your position I'd get my money back on the machine and wait for the next revision. Then again I always have a computer at my disposal since I have a computer lab near my townhouse at college as well as my roommate's computers. Also, I hate buying tech when I know that within a month or less it'll be updated. I know that there will always be something new, but I like to think that waiting makes it all the better when I get that package in the mail.
 

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
1,692
28
Northern Ireland
2a would be my choice (done it myself on a number of occasions). I just can't send something for repair that's within its return period.