Bad AirPort on iMac G3 2000?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by SuperPolli, Feb 18, 2015.

1. SuperPolli macrumors regular

Equipment: iMac G3 Summer 2000, 1 GB RAM, 10 GB HDD, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther

My iMac has an AirPort card that I installed on my own. When I got the iMac from its previous owner he gave me a package and said, "Here is an AirPort card that I bought but couldn't install. If you can install it then it's yours." So I got it home and installed it and it worked fine for about 4 months. One day the computer was just playing songs in iTunes and I went to refresh my email (Normally I didn't keep Safari open but that day I did) and the page wouldn't refresh. I rebooted and still nothing. I opened the machine, dusted it out, made sure everything was properly aligned and tried again. No internet whatsoever. So then I tried putting in a hard drive with Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger. Everything worked except for the internet. So it is definitely the AirPort card.

My question for all of you lovely forum writers is:

Is there any way to repair/reset my AirPort card?

If there is not, where can I get an AirPort card that will work with my iMac G3?

2. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

IIRC, the iMac G3s require an adaptor to install the AirPort Card. I do not believe it is possible to install it without the adaptor. It could be that the AirPort Card failed. My 2 cards did. Try buying an new AirPort Card and adaptor as one or both could be to blame.

Also note that that AirPort is only Wireless B. It CANNOT connect to WPA2 networks, but WILL connect to WPA with 10.3.9 or later.