Bad apple service ?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by GalaxyRomPadd, Jun 23, 2015.

1. GalaxyRomPadd macrumors newbie

As I got off of work I noticed that in the right lightening you could see two hairline "scratches" that couldn't be wiped away , after owning the space grey apple watch sport I was disappointed due to my compulsive disorder. So I got ahold of Apple Store near me and they told me it sounds like a defective model and would replaced it for free not even worrying about my apple care +. So I went to the store and two employees later they said I could swap it out but they don't have it in stock but they could send the watch out but it would take 3-4 weeks. It seems quite a long time considering a brand new one would take 1-2 weeks if I purchased. Why on earth a replacement would take longer then purchasing a new one I have no idea. So I returned it for a refund and will soon order a new one. Not cool Apple Store making me feel like cheating the system just to get a non scratched one without using apple care +

2. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

3. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Seems you have had bad luck with Apple as they gave you the run around on your phone too.

The problem here is they simply do not have stock. You made the right choice.

4. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

Replacements are usually refurbs, so they are probably difficult to get ahold of for a new product. Depending on how long you were wearing it before noticing the scratches, they could have been doing you a favor by offering to swap it at all. I can't think of any other company that would swap a scratched watch after you left the store with it.

5. paulgandersman macrumors regular

The genius bar has a policy of offering you a time period that is double what the expect. So if they say 3-4 weeks, they mean 1-2 weeks. They do this on purpose in order to "surprise and delight" you. That way when you're expecting 3-4 weeks and you get it in 1-2, you're happy.

6. GalaxyRomPadd thread starter macrumors newbie

Not exactly sure what scratched it , I don't recall hitting anything as I baby it to the extreme . But in order to return it an apple tech would have to inspect the watch make sure it's fine to swap out for a new one but to return for a refund they didn't , why take the risk and him saying no with the scratches we won't swap out . Apple told me there are no refurbed models out yet so it would've been brand new

7. Rlong405 macrumors member

Disney do the same with advertised queue (line) lengths at their parks

8. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wait, you scratched your watch, then somehow got Apple to agree to exchange it for a brand new one (try getting any other company to completely replace something free of charge over a couple of light scratches), and now Apple has bad service because they don't have the free exchange you don't really deserve in stock fast enough to satisfy you?

How dare they! Please.

9. GalaxyRomPadd thread starter macrumors newbie

If something breaks during its probation period ( 14 days in apples case) then yes it normally is exchanged , I'm more upset over the fact I can order a new one quicker then an exchange

10. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

The point is, (not sure why I'm even trying) nothing broke. You scratched the watch. Apple is doing you a big favor by allowing you to return goods damaged by you. It stands to reason that fulfilling a courtesy exchange is not high on their list of priorities.

11. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Actually it didn't break, YOU scratched it. Unbelievable. If you dropped and cracked you iPhone is that Apples fault too?

12. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

I noticed multiple very short hairline scratches appeared on the curved edge of the glass near the side button on my Space Gray Sport. Luckily, I can't really see them unless the Watch is off and under the right lighting condition. But still kind of irks me that I don't recall ever scraping it on anything.

It sounds like Apple was going to do a favor and replace it anyway in your case.

13. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I have never experienced this.
    When my phone was replaced due to the power button and battery issues it took exactly as long as they said it would.
    :(

14. Mac2me, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015

Mac2me macrumors 6502a

If something is defective: not working, stops working, doesn't work as stated, then Apple would replace or repair it depending on the circumstance. The Sport Watch's display glass (basically Gorilla glass like on lots of other phones and many other smart watches) will scratch but will hold up to dropping better than sapphire. Sapphire won't scratch for the most part but will crack or shatter if hit under certain circumstances. You said you bought the Sport Watch. Sounds like you got a few slight scratches on it during normal wear during the time you've owned it. Nothing has been broken or is defective. I'm shocked Apple is doing anything for you under those circumstances unless you choose to have Apple Care replace the display under one of your incidents. I don't think Apple is the bad apple here. Doesn't sound like the Sport Watch is the right watch for you if you are expecting it won't get scratched. To get Apple to take it back as a return for this reason...

15. TJone macrumors 6502a

Apple quoted me 3 days to replace my MB Air battery out of warranty. The Genius Bar called and emailed me 2 hours after I dropped it off with them to let me know it was ready for pickup. They often seem to overstate length of time for repair or replacement so I bet you would receive your replacement watch sooner.

16. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Looks to me like Apple's service was outstanding. Not many place will take back an owner damaged product and refund your money.

17. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I would have to take issue with you on this - I just returned from Orlando last week. And we waited in line every minute of the stated wait time plus more ! :mad:

18. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Confused.... why is it apple's obligation to replace your watch because you scratched it?

19. Rlong405 macrumors member

Argh now that is disappointing to hear. I'm coming over in September from the UK.