Bad Audio Input jack = complete motherboard replacement?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by pprior, Nov 23, 2007.

1. pprior macrumors 65816

mac pro. Audio input fed via the rear jack. Using program (can't remember the name) to create passthrough. Worked fine for months.

Now however I get no sound from the audio input unless I put a bit of pressure downwards on the cord going into the jack. I have a stapler placed on top of the input cord right now and it works fine, but if it gets moved, then it stops working. Kind of a redneck repair for the time being (note to sensitive cultural types: I lived in Kentucky, so I'm allowed to make such comments :p)

If I take this to the apple store - is it likely to need a whole new MB? I just put on a aftermarket video cooling system for my ATI card and i'm worried about taking it in for service - will they note that and refuse any repair on the card in the future?

Anyone else ever have same problem?

2. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

If they refuse repair you could always get a PCI input card thing or a firewire audio in.

3. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

or an iMic.

But I can't see why they wouldn't fix it. You can replace the video card with a third party card and as long as the install didn't damage something else, they still fix the computer under warrantee except for the 3rd party video card.

4. pprior thread starter macrumors 65816

Any idea whether this would be a full motherboard replacement? Do they have to send those kind of things out? I really can't be without my computer that long.

Do you have to take the computer to an apple store? I have applecare. Can they send a tech out to fix it?

5. donharriss macrumors newbie

donharriss

Check the cable?

Have you checked the cable? It's a lot cheaper fix than the motherboard and more likely to get messed up. :)

6. thxdave macrumors member

If the socket is soldered to the mobo, then they'd (at minimum) have to pull the board out and solder in a new connector. If the socket is attached to the backplane of the computer and there is a jumper connection to the mobo, then you'd be looking at a much simpler repair, but it's not going to be something that they'd want to do "in the field".

7. esaias macrumors member

The miniplug jacks on Mac Pro are really really bad.

I at first thought that I had faulty unit, but then I discovered that the jacks are the same on all other mac pros too. They have bad measures, they are too loose and doesn't lock the cable well. I used Neutrik, which definately have the correct mesurements, miniplugs as I was trying listen stuff on my headphones and tried to set up small speakers for system sounds. Both front and back connectors kept loosing connect unless the cable was in some magical position.

then again, why should you use those crappy minijacks, there is a digital out...

-Tomi

8. pprior thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm using it to input audio for a TV signal, which plays on a PIP on my secondary monitor. I haven't tried another cable, I guess I could pray the cable went bad. I'll try that first, but I have my doubts.

9. williamhowe macrumors newbie

bad audio input jack

I have just had exact same problem. My mac pro is part of edit system and I rarely changed the mini plug..it just sat there and worked. I went to plug it back in after moving the computer and it felt sloppy. If I put a little pressure on it it will make a connection but won't hold. Apparently it is connected to the mother board but nobody at Apple or my local Apple service center will even guess at how long repair will take..mine is under warranty. I'm getting such a run around that I will probably just install a new card and bypass the problem.
    Certainly less time and aggravation than lugging my computer somewhere (or sending it to Apple) and not having it for who knows how long.
    My tech recommended an M-Audio Revolution 7.1 It's about $100. How much is my time worth?

10. pprior thread starter macrumors 65816

I tried a new audio cord - not a fix. right now I've got my input taped to the side of the case to create a little tension and it works, but it looks hillbilly central.

Really peeves me, and I don't want to lose my computer for weeks while it's fixed. I also don't want to add other cards - I feel it will increase risk of incompatible hardware, drivers, etc.

Grrrrrr.

11. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

pprior - you are working yourself into a knot over nothing - buy an aftermarket sound card - enjoy the improved audio capability - and be done with it.

You better think about how stressed you are going to be when your Mac Pro is returned scratched up - other problems surface - whatever.

12. pprior thread starter macrumors 65816

So you don't run into problems with os updates and things like that with aftermarket parts?

13. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

I must be one of the lucky ones - multiple Macs - G3 G4 G5 Mac Pro - pretty much plug n play with most things I've added. What issues you may have to sort (drivers, whatever) may be minor compared to having a new motherboard installed and all the downside potential.

14. pprior thread starter macrumors 65816

What card do you recommend?

15. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

16. HooRide macrumors newbie

I've replaced the headphone out jack on a quicksilver logicboard before. It's not that hard (it was harder sourcing the part) but if your macpro is under warranty, use the warranty.

17. pprior thread starter macrumors 65816

I've decided I'm pissed that my nearly $4000 mac Pro started crapping out not even 6 months after purchase. Even my cheapo dell's never had a problem with audio inputs. I'm taking it in and making them fix the darn thing. Man I'm really irritated - first the bad video card issue and now this. Not so impressed with Mac quality thus far, considering I bought a top of the line machine.