Bad Backlight?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by StockDC2, Jul 7, 2011.

1. StockDC2 macrumors regular

I have the weirdest issue with my 2008 Macbook Pro 15" (Pre-Unibody). Once the computer fully warms up, the screen will sometimes go black (backlight will turn off; I can still see the desktop) and the only way to get it back to come on again is to move the screen around. While moving the screen though, the screen will flicker until you find the sweet spot. It seems that if the LCD is less than 90 degrees (i.e facing the keyboard), the flickering stops. Sounds like a loose cable right? But can you explain why the screen will not flicker until the computer warms up? I can move the LCD back and forth and I will not get a single flicker.

Please help!

2. StockDC2, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011

StockDC2 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! I checked out the link before posting the ad and saw that the models affected are the 2.2 and 2.4Ghz MBPs. Mine is a 2.6 :(. It was manufactured in July 2008 though which falls between the May 2007 and September 2008 manufacture date.

Another problem is that my bottom case is very damaged. I'm also missing 2 screens from the screen and 2 screens from the back of the case. Will Apple still look at the machine? I purchased this computer second hand so I'm not sure why the computer was disassembled.

EDIT: Hooked it up to an external display and no flickering. Either the cable is loose or inverter board is bad.

3. randomrazr macrumors 65816

if theres warrenty (applecare) still left on it than apple should help.

if there is not, than ur on ur own. they can repair but will cost you so much, you my as well buy a brand new macbook pro.

4. StockDC2 thread starter macrumors regular

I might take it in to the store to get an assessment of what is wrong. They'll at least narrow it down for me.

5. drabina macrumors newbie

Did you ever figured out what the problem was? My Macbook Pro has the same issue and recently it got a lot worse.