bad, bad idea:bought from eurosoftware!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gabrielita, Jun 25, 2011.

1. gabrielita macrumors newbie

Thank you in advance for reading this.
    I feel so stupid; I've been a mac user for more than 5 years and I'm really careful with what I download from the net. Anyway, I just got a macbook pro and decided to get photoshop elements 9, I googled it to get the best price and there was one for 49 dlrs + 6 dlrs for "transaction fee"= $56 (regularly 79-90). It looked a legit place (eurosoftware) and I thought I was safe. Well, I installed the software according to the vendor's instructions (please see attached pics) and the provided license key was not valid!
    I contacted the vendor (good luck!) and after googled the stupid eurosoftware, I found out the horrible truth" scam!
    My problem, despite the 56 bucks, is that I ran a script included in the downloaded file (zip) and I'm terrified this installed malware that can track my vital/sensitive info (credit card info, Sherlock!)
    Here:
    1(when I installed the program and ran the script):
    [​IMG]
    2 (when editing terminal):
    [​IMG]
    That is why I'm here, to request your help to make sure I delete/fix/ whatever the "script" file did or how to revert all the crap I did :confused:
    Thank you in advance!

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. gabrielita thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info but I already uninstalled photoshop. My question is still how to revert the changes I made in terminal and the script I ran.
    :confused:
    Thank you again!

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

You mention you "just got a macbook pro" might be fastest just to reformat and reinstall OSX.

5. gabrielita thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I got it yesterday! and in less than 24 hrs I messed with it!:(
    I guess I wanted an easier solution since I've already spent the whole day contacting my credit card customer service to cancel my card :( and deleting/scanning for viruses... I know, macs don't get viruses ...
    Thanks for the advice though.

6. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

if you are that worried then i agree with this.

however, you don't really need to. if nothing is out of the ordinary then you probably don't need to do anything. just do the manual deletion that GGJstudios posted.

7. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

basically, all the script did was amend the host file, no? If it's just that, it's harmless.

8. hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

You didn't do anything with the OS X, don't worry. What you've done is you have blocked access to the Adobe servers, so the copy of Elements you "bought" will not contact Adobe and will not expose itself as a pirated copy. I mean... you know now that you have thrown 50 bucks in the trash and bought a pirated copy?

You may leave the changes done by the script, no harm will be done.

9. ViviUO macrumors 6502

If you had to edit the hosts file, as indicated by your second screenshot, then you have illegal software. The hosts file blocks the software from calling home to Adobe for legitimate activation.

Try contacting them again and let them know that you will alert the authorities if a refund is not issued, and then alert the authorities anyway.

EDIT: For future reference, if a deal is too good to be true, it probably is.

10. wpotere Guest

How did you pay? If you paid by credit card, call and cancel it immediately as they now have it. If you payed by paypal or some other function I would at a minimum change my passwords.

As for the machine, just wipe it and start over. You aren't going to get a refund out of them as it is a scam.

11. gabrielita thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everybody for your advice. I immediately uninstalled the software, which I think wasn't malware since it was just a trial version and it kept asking me for the serial #. Everybody can download the trial version so that wasn't the problem.
    Editing the host files was probably what scared me the most but since that was actually a trial version of a valid program, I just uninstalled it.
    I already contacted the scammers asking for the refund and I also filed a complaint with BBB and I'm keeping track of every suspicious activity with my credit card.
    Is there another place I should report this?
    Thanks again!

12. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Adobe might want to know.

But wow is this crack sloppy. Who the heck has the user manually kill the activation servers and run boring old scripts.

Back in my day we'd spoof the activation servers, gen legit keys or provide the user with a one click auto activated install. But I digress.

13. wpotere Guest

Don't keep track of activity on the card. You won't pay for it if they do use it, but that loss does get passed on via fees to everyone else. Call the company and report it as a stolen card. They will simply send you a new one and disable the other. If you wait, it could get used and then your CC company will have to eat the cost likely passing it back on to you later.

14. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

IMO, if you're looking for a deal on software, skip the middle man. Yo ho, up ho!

(pirating software is wrong and blah blah)