Bad Battery on iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MrMatt, May 5, 2009.

1. MrMatt macrumors newbie

I received an 8G iPod Touch the beginning of this year and neglected to really use it until recently. I have noticed the battery will be completely dead after 24-36 hours of it being turned off. Is this normal, my gut says no but thought I'd ask before taking it back to the apple store.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

First of all, welcome to the forums! :)

I have not seen that before, especially sense you haven't used it much. If it has been turned off, the only thing I can think of is the battery can loose power over time if it is not stored at mid-charge. But it is most likely just a bad battery.

If you bought it at the beginning of the year you should still be under warranty, so taking to Apple is the best way to handle it.

3. jeonghyunhan macrumors newbie

While it's turned off? :confused:
    It should last MUCH longer while turned off.
    I have a first gen and it has never lost more than half its battery while left uncharged and off for days.

4. MrMatt thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I figured something was fishy guess I'll take it back.

5. Dakenson macrumors newbie

wooow

Maybe is late but I'll reply too
    Last night exactly the same happened to mine (same iPod Touch 1st generation 8GB) :confused: it had never happened before
    In the night it was 56% battery and I turned it off, the next day (today) the battery was empty....
    I better take mine back to apple as you :p

6. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

Is there a difference between sleep (a light press of the button on top) and off (holding the button for 3 seconds and sliding the red bar to power off)?

Powering down the second way should drastically increase the battery life... I hope

7. pilotrtc macrumors regular

Yes. When you slide to turn off, all services are off. There should not be any battery drainage at all.

When you tap the top button, some services are still running using battery life. For example, the wifi is still running.