Bad Battery???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheGarreth, Sep 10, 2010.

1. TheGarreth macrumors member

So I just wanted to throw this out there get some other opinions - I wouldn't say my iPhone 4 battery life is horrible but from everything I'd heard about it being FAR superior to 3GS battery life, I don't feel like that's what I'm seeing.
    Here's what I've got so far:
    Usage: 1 hr., 31 minutes - mainly texting, two 5 minute phone calls & checking facebook once.
    Standby - 7 hrs., 49 minutes
    wi-fi: off
    Bluetooth: off
    Notifications: Off
    Mail: 2 accounts on 30-minute fetch, 2 on manual
    Brightness: 30%, auto-brightness on...
    Location Services: on
    My battery is at 84% - does that seem right?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

What do you get from 100% to 1% is what matters more.

the average has been between 5-7hrs.

3. shehan macrumors newbie

30% wow that's low for screen brightness. Seriously though if you've got 1.5 hours of usage and almost 8 hours of standby on 15% of battery that mean you're on track for 8.5 hours of use with 45 hours of standby on one charge. That seems pretty good to me.

4. TheGarreth thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input - I forgot to mention that at my office & at my house, I get pretty poor 3g signal - generally 1-3 bars around -100 in field-test mode.

5. adztaylor macrumors 68000

That sounds perfectly fine. Don't forget if you are in poor signal area (I am too at home) that puts more strain on the battery as the phone is always looking for a signal more. But your stats sound okay to me.

6. jacollins macrumors 6502a

Turn off your mail fetch and see how the battery time goes.

7. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Your battery life rocks, trust me. Get an HTC EVO if you want to see poor battery life. :rolleyes:

8. dave420 macrumors 65816

By that calculation before your battery dies you will be at 9 hours of usage, and a little less than 2 days standby. That's not bad.

9. jdusoccer12 macrumors regular

I am wondering the same thing. I have 3 and a half hours of usage and 5 hours of standby. This is with Facebook, Macrumors, a little gaming not much talking or texting and a little facetime. And I only have 25% left and my brightness is about 50%. No 3G all Wi-Fi.

10. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

Are you running GPS software that eats battery?

11. TheGarreth thread starter macrumors member

Update

So first off, thank you all for taking the time to read & reply.
    I've spent quite a bit of time search other posts & forums on this issue and after following up on all the potential fixes/remedies that I found - charging the phone up to full, resetting warnings while plugged into iTunes & turning data off & then back on - as some had suggested that it battery drain was in part due to data being sent to AT&T/Apple on the daily (early morning data transfers showing up on phone bill??)...and then resetting network settings & doing a hard re-set on the phone before taking off the charger. I've also, via field-test, found that I get a horrible 3G signal pretty (-98 to -110) much anywhere in the area here so I've left 3G off unless I'm surfing w/out wifi...and...
    I've got:
    Usage 2hr. 9, minutes
    Standby 9hr., 10 minutes
    Battery still at 87%

12. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

That looks perfectly normal, it's a decent battery packed inside the iPhone 4.

13. Savor Suspended

Savor

Your battery is about normal. I get 5-7 hours watching video at 50% brightness/auto off and WiFi browsing. Location services, 3G/Edge, and fetch off.

Just remember it stays at 100% for like 15-20 min. Then 1% drops every 5 min or so depending on what you are doing. The first 1% drains the slowest. I usually lose about 8-10% that first hour.

14. mpossoff macrumors 68020

What is everyone getting on 3G only? Although I can get wifi at work I'm doing a 3G only test. I normally surf, post on forums and watch you tube videos. I get a strong 3G signal in Philadelphia.

Marc

15. mpossoff macrumors 68020

So far as an average I seem to getting 30 minutes usage with 10% battery, 3G only.

Marc

16. TheGarreth thread starter macrumors member

Update

Definitely much improved after the hard reset & network settings reset.

Attached Files:

17. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Does anyone have usages like 4 hrs usage, 7-8 hrs standby, 3G only?

Marc

18. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Ummm, but based on your first post, that pretty much the same number you would've gotten in a full charge, the first post shows this. Dont see how this improves anything. In the first post you were on pace for 9hrs useage and under 2 days standby, same as now?!!?!?!??! :confused:

19. Savor Suspended

Savor

My battery life has been very good today. Alot of things off except WiFi. Auto-brightness at 50%. I have the BatteryDoctor app and my batt life drained to like 2% last night. I gave it a 30 min trickle charge and it was plugged for about 3 hours. Killed about 20% of it before I went to sleep.

So far, I got over 5 hours of usage/12.5 hours standby, and my battery was still at 50% and that's with the screen getting brighter inside a better litted room. Most of yesterday, I got about 6.5 - 7.5 hours of usage. I should get about 8+ hours of mostly WiFi usage today and I'm not video streaming too much. No games played. Clean up the multi-task bar because it helps. One of the Nexus One users will get about 6-6.5 hours of WiFi browsing before it dies. If I get 8+, I'm fairly satisfied compared to the many top Android phones out there.