Bad battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Drew017, May 17, 2012.

1. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

OK guys... My battery is really not doing what its supposed to. When i let my MacBook sleep, after 10 minutes, the charge goes from 100 to 94, and the computer isn't doing anything. I've only been running on battery for 15 minutes, and I'm down to 93%, and I haven't even launched any programs!! The battery health is fine- it's still at 96% health! This is trolly getting on my nerves! Please help!

2. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

Hmm, which Macbook? How long have you had the battery? And is the battery an original Apple one?

3. Drew017 thread starter macrumors 65816

Drew017

Well, the battery is fine. it's the same one that cam with my 2009 macbook. I figured out that the automatic time machine backups were what was hurting my battery. Once I set them to "When plugged in" I got a much better result.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your Mac should use about 1% of battery for every hour of sleep. If it's using more, it's possible it's not staying in sleep mode. For that, you may find some useful ideas here:

Mac OS X: Why your Mac might not sleep or stay in sleep mode
    Determine why your Mac wakes up from sleep
    One sleep problem caused by printers - solved ... and another

For battery draining while using it, launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: