Bad Blocks on External HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mkflyfish, Mar 17, 2012.

1. mkflyfish, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012

mkflyfish macrumors member

mkflyfish

I have a Western Digital 1TB usb passport drive, well actually several of them.

I was trying to copy about a 200 GB virtual .hdd file from parallels onto it. It kept freezing up at different spots. So I tried another drive, and it copied fine.

Disk Utility says its fine, but I just dl the macupdate promo bundle that includes Drive Genius 3.

I'm running the scan on the disk, and it's gotten to 92.23% done, and the percentage hasn't changed in about 6 hours, it's said 27 min to go the entire time, although it is still increasing the number of scanned blocks, bad blocks have gone from 309 to 909. In the last hour, its only scanned about 18k blocks. At that rate, it will finish the remaining 152 million blocks in about 8,500 hours.

Is my drive toast ? - well I guess so, I canceled the scan, which took a while, and Drive Genius gave an integrity error, and said to replace ASAP.

Michael

2. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Likely, get any important data off immediately.

The manufacturer should have some test utilities to determine if it is bad for warranty purposes.