Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aznhiga13

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I recently just bought bluetooth headphones to use with my mac since it has built in bluetooth and I ran into a problem. I know these headsets don't have the best audio quality but for some reason with my early 2008 Macbook Pro the audio is pretty terrible. It's to the point where it crackles a lot and cuts out. So i thought it might just be my mac, so I tried it with a new 2009 Unibody Macbook Pro and ended up with the same results. After all this I thought it must be the headphones so I tried them with my old compaq and I couldn't believe how good the audio was. It was night and day between the two. So does this mean that Apple is skimping on the bluetooth driver/components? The bluetooth works fine for file transfers and connecting to my phone so thats not a big issue. It just makes me kinda sad that I might have to figure out another way to do this. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

bluespaceoddity

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
It is possible to improve the sound quality dramatically. I don't know if you've already found this but here is a link to an Apple Discussions thread in which the issue is dealt with. Apple Link.

From the linked thread:
Open Terminal and type in this:
defaults write com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent "Apple Bitpool Min (editable)" 50

This is case sensitive, so just copy/paste it

Thanks Sprinkesnirg for solution.

toptekjon

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
It is possible to improve the sound quality dramatically. I don't know if you've already found this but here is a link to an Apple Discussions thread in which the issue is dealt with. Apple Link.

From the linked thread:

Thank you!! I've been looking all over for that info.
I used that same fix on a macbook a year or so ago, but didn't remember the fix for my new MB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.