Bad bug in ios4.0x - Data Roaming not blocked when setting is off!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by danb77, Jul 20, 2010.

1. danb77 macrumors 6502

Looks like ios4 has a bad bug. Data roaming can occur even when the option for DR is set to off.

First, my prob. Brand new iPhone 4 set up as new. On first arrival in foreign country, emails start to download, can surf safari, even though no wifi and DR set to off.
    Problem fixed by turning DR on and off again. Now DR blocked as required.

Much worse, my friend. On a 3GS upgraded to ios4. Same initial probs as above butnpeob persists!
    Phone continues to download data in background! When safari activated, DR-off message appears but data still downloads. Only way to turn off the DR is to change APN settings.

Be warned folks -and, anyone's experienced this?

2. jbro1999 macrumors regular

nope... Mine turns off. I go to Canada all the time.

3. danb77 thread starter macrumors 6502

This bug only manifests in two instances

a) The very first time you roam

b) If your settings have been mildly corrupted after an upgrade from Ios3

but it is very real. People will start squealing about this, just you wait...

4. draz macrumors 6502a

5. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

I'm one of those people who "Restored From Backup" and have had many issues (multiple dropped calls during most phone calls and proximity sensor issues among other problems) and recently saw that someone advised "Begin As New Phone" or whatever the actual two choices were. So, I'm planning to backup my iP4 and start as a new phone to see if I can lose these many bugs.

Today, as has happened at times before, I noticed that wifi was turned on and roaming was enabled even though I know I had it turned off.

I'll post back in this thread IF that advice works for me.

6. danb77 thread starter macrumors 6502

Canada (from UK).

I also noticed the same bug on my old 3GS when I installed the 4.0 GM and roamed to Switzerland.

You notice it straight away, as emails start getting downloaded in the background.

7. MrTan macrumors regular

MrTan

I had the same problem last week with my iPhone4.

Data Roaming was off by default.

I got to Egypt (from the UK) and as soon as I was on the network, my emails popped up.

I just turned off Cellular data while I was abroad.

Luckily on got hit with £5 of charges but its not right, I'd moan at o2 but they'll only blame Apple.

I'll keep an eye on it when I next travel.

8. rkenyon macrumors newbie

Same thing happened to me in Dubai (from UK) a couple of weeks ago. I got hit with £20 of data roaming.

O2 refunded me.

It seems to occur when you get an MMS. It somehow switches on the roaming, which then allows all your emails to get through as well.

O2 had this problem last year when V3 of the OS was released.

9. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Never happened to me but I normally turn cellular data to off as a matter of fact when roaming.

10. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Wasn't that only added in iOS4?

11. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

Hi,
    I've just emailed O2's billing department about this and another roaming related issue.

I was in France for 12 days recently and before I went I noticed that O2 had announced capped roaming charges where you pay up to £40 at a rate of £3 per MB as usual and then once you hit £40, it gets capped and you don't pay any more. Once your data usage hits 50MB then the data roaming is shut off. Sounded like a good idea and took some of the worry out of roaming. I also had all my push services switched off with email set to manual fetch just to avoid using up my DR allowance with background stuff.

I Just looked at my bill tonight and O2 have charged me £40 twice because my billing period ended during my holiday and this started a whole new £40 "capped" charge. Not quite what I was expecting since I got several text messages while on holiday assuring me that while I had incurred a £40 charge I would not be charged any more and at 50MB roaming would cease. Even more annoying, I only used a total of 48MB while away as I was rationing myself to 3 or 4MB per day to make sure it lasted for the holiday.

Getting back to the DR not actually switching off, this goes some way to explaining why I was using more data than I believed should have been the case, especially since DR was turned off most of the time. I had emails set to manual fetch so I didn't get the clue where emails would arrive while DR was off. That would have alerted me. I just seemed to be slowly running up my data counter even though it was turned off.

Anyway, I've emailed O2 to request a refund of the second DR charge. I could have been dishonest and asked for a refund of both DR charges but I was expecting to run up a £40 bill, just not an £80 bill so I'll be happy if I get the partial refund. I think O2 should be applauded for this capped DR scheme but they have to make people aware that it is £40 per billing period, or ideally change the billing to make it £40 until such time as you get back home.

Craig.

12. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I don't think you'll get anywhere.

It's not O2's scheme, it's imposed by the EU - all networks in the EU have to cap data usage at €50 per billing cycle.

That could of course mean that you pay twice for a trip as short as two days!

13. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

Maybe, but I've been a customer for 6 years and they would be pretty stupid to lose a customer over £40, especially when I used less than 50MB during my entire trip so they wouldn't be out of pocket.

The billing cycle is nothing to do with the EU, it is something specific to each O2 customer. I'm on a 1 month rolling contract and would happily give another provider a try on a SIM only basis.

I should hear from them in a day or two so remind me to update this thread if you don't hear from me in a couple of days.

14. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

When the billing cycle begins and ends is nothing to do with the EU, but their rules state that the £40 limit is per billing cycle.

O2 can only raise or remove the cap if you ask them to. They aren't allowed to make any other change under the rules.

The other networks have the exact same rules (because it's based on law), changing provider wouldn't really get you anywhere.

15. quadchick10 macrumors member

quadchick10

I just got back from St. Maarten. I Before I traveled, I did a lot of research to make sure I was not going to get hit with international roaming charges. You must of course, turn Data Roaming to off. You must also turn of the auto check function for checking emails to "Fetch Manually". I also instructed all of my friends not to text me for that particular week. Unfortunately, just turning off the data doesn't block text messages or picture/video messages.

16. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

We'll see... O2 still have the choice of whether to retain a happy customer or not. Call it a gesture of goodwill if you like. I expect nothing less.

17. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

That wouldn't really matter for people in the UK as we don't pay anything to receive text messages (including MMS) anywhere in the world.

18. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

Hi,
    Sorry it took some time for my update but the good news is that O2 have now refunded my £40 as I had hoped. They refunded £20 as a gesture of goodwill and then when I went back to them again with a more strongly worded email they refunded the other £20. Good customer service in my opinion.

As a reward I have just bought an iPhone 4 via Tesco mobile...:eek:
    Well, it's O2 under the skin so I don't feel too disloyal. O2 just couldn't compete this time I'm afraid.

Cheers,
    Craig.