Bad camera sensor, voided warranty due to tripped liquid indicator...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pauld1121, Feb 13, 2009.

1. pauld1121 macrumors newbie

So, I've had my 8GB iPhone 3G for about 7 weeks now. While I never made much use of the camera on my previous mobile phones, I find myself using the camera on my iPhone all the time. I love being able to take a photo and immediately e-mail it to someone, or post it on Facebook, or post it on Twitter, or upload it to MobileMe. While I have a digital camera, I don't carry it with me all the time, and even if I did, I have to bring it home, plug it into my computer, etc., to be able to send the photo(s) as described above.

A couple weeks ago, the camera started sporadically acting up. I would open the camera app and everything would be green and static-y. Sometimes restarting the app or doing a hard reset on the phone would fix the problem. Now, however, it happens pretty much every single time I try to take a picture. I can still take pictures, they just come out all green.

An example of what this looks like (I took this with my phone - it's supposed to be my DVD tower): http://twitpic.com/1e9oy

I did some research online, and it sounds like I have a bad camera sensor. Squeezing the phone just beneath the camera sensor temporarily clears the green/static, as described by others who have had this issue. The only solution to this problem, apparently, is to completely replace the phone.

So I made a Genius Bar appointment at the nearest Apple Store (which is 2.5 hours from where I live), expecting to have my phone replaced. When I got there, the FIRST thing the "Genius" did, before even really querying me about the problem, was to look inside the headphone jack. Apparently my liquid indicator has been tripped, as the white dot in the bottom of the jack has turned pink. So he was basically like, "Your warranty has been voided; you can buy a new iPhone if you want for full price." When I assured him that I hadn't dropped my phone in the sink or the pool or otherwise doused it with liquid, he almost reacted as if I was lying. He also responded by saying, "Well, it's only the camera"... I consider the camera to be a pretty major component of the phone. Also, I would think that if my iPhone truly had interior liquid damage, I would be having other problems with it - but everything works perfectly except for the camera.

Apparently the liquid indicator in the iPhone is very sensitive. I live in Florida, and it's humid, it rains a lot, and gets hot. If a couple drops of rain or sweat gets inside my headphone jack, apparently I'm totally screwed. As someone who has poured thousands of dollars into this company, this is the first Apple product that's given me a major problem; it's not even two months old and I'm being told that nothing can be done. I'm not sure whether I'm going to just shell out $399 for a new one or wait until June/July when the next gen version gets released. But I have reservations about continuing with the iPhone at all if it's this easy to trip the liquid indicator and void the warranty.

I'm not necessarily expecting someone to provide me with a solution to any of this, but I was wondering if anyone has had ANY luck with getting a replacement or out-of-warranty repair with (apparent) liquid damage. Also, I know that there are a couple third-party repair places who will repair iPhones for around the cost of an out-of-warranty repair (which Apple will not do if the liquid indicator has been tripped). Is that a good/bad idea?

And if anyone finds this whole liquid indicator business as absurd as I do, please feel free to share your story.

2. UnitedLax342 macrumors member

Same thing just happen to me, except my lcd quit working and Apple claims the water indicator is tripped on mine but on the bottom plug, yet I have not gotten any water on it. They told me I could get at regular price of 299, but i would have to restart my contract and pay activation fee which is BS. I am extremely disappointed in apple, So now im going to send it in to ipodjuice.com and get the lcd replaced...

3. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I've heard that the water sensors can be tripped by humidity. Do you live somewhere humid?

4. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

:rolleyes:

5. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

LOL. Sorry for not reading his essay about trying to replace the iPhone:rolleyes: But ya, my post is definitely an EPIC FAIL!!

6. jason72780 macrumors regular

My camera was doing that also the other night. I just kept taking pictures and rebooting it and it eventually returned back to normal.

Edit:never mind its back

Attached Files:

7. calvy macrumors 65816

I know that must suck, and I can only imagine being in the same situation, as I don't exactly take care to cover the headphone jack when running through a rain storm back to my office. However, I guess it is possible that if enough water got on the sensor to trip it, it also got on the camera and fudged it up.

Having said that, the squeaky wheel usually gets the grease. Maybe call up apple care and ask for a manager and explain the situation.

8. jason72780 macrumors regular

I just got mine replaced on feb 1 after paying $199 due to a cracked screen. Looks like I'm making a trip to the apple store tomorrow for a warrantied replacement this time.

9. UnitedLax342 macrumors member

did they make you restart your contract and pay activation?

10. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Out of warranty repairs don't require you to get a new contract.

11. jason72780 macrumors regular

Nope they just changed out the sim. Even with it already out of warranty, he still checked for water damage before telling me that it'll be $199 to switch out. Do they still charge the out of warranty price for water damage or just damage that it easily fixed by them.

12. UnitedLax342 macrumors member

well they were going to make me re sign a new contract!