Bad copy of iTunes?

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2005
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
Since getting my iBook last week it has run beautifully...until I started to rip my cd collection.

Obviously ripping cds is rather cpu intensive, but while the process is going on everything slows down to speeds comparable to my mom's dell (YUCK!). My ram is maxed out (as you can see), so its not an issue of dealing with virtual memory.

The trackpad is sluggish, I get beachballs with everything, and performance is generally terrible.

My girlfriend's powerbook hardly experiences any slowdown at all while ripping cds with the standard 512 of ram.

On top of the slowdown, iTunes being open has corresponded directly to me losing airport reception. Checking activity monitor shows that huge amounts of inactive ram are being utilized, which is supposed to be usual for OS X but is not usual based on my pre- heavy iTunes use experience with this computer.

The only solution I've found is shutting the computer down and restarting. Needless to say, this is VERY frustrating.

Is there any chance that something is screwed up with my iTunes? Anybody ever experienced anything similar? Please help!

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2005
Applespider said:
What are you encoding them at? How much are you making that CPU work?

It doesn't sound like normal iTunes behaviour particularly the Airport dropping out.

Have you tried all the usual OS X hexes? Repairing permissions, dumping preference files etc?
I had tried all of that, but had also forgotten something which should have been COMPLETELY obvious. I was around 5 gigs of space remaining on my hd.

From what I understand, this will slow down OS X tremendously. I checked activity monitor, and the virtual memory exceeded my free hd space... So (needless to say) I got to work deleting anything extraneous. The biggest step I've taken was running delocalizer, removing 2 gigs of languages in the process.

I'll go easy on bittorrents, etc. until my Lacie hd arrives (hopefully tomorrow), and hope this has solved my problem.

I appreciate all of the help as always!

Applespider

macrumors G4
chucknorris said:
I had tried all of that, but had also forgotten something which should have been COMPLETELY obvious. I was around 5 gigs of space remaining on my hd.
Funnily enough, I was going to suggest that and then reread your post and realised you'd only had it a week so didn't bother... ah well!

Glad you have it working now!

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2005
Applespider said:
Funnily enough, I was going to suggest that and then reread your post and realised you'd only had it a week so didn't bother... ah well!

Glad you have it working now!
Hahaha! :p

Well, you'd think somebody couldn't fill a 60-gig hd in a week's time, but I'm-uh special...

:D

Anyway, I'm pretty sure you transmitted that thought telepathically.

Thanks again, Applespider and have a pleasant day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.