Bad Drivers for Windows XP Pro on iMac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by benbald, Apr 2, 2009.

1. benbald macrumors newbie

Okay, I've seen similar threads around but I never could see a good answer to the problem so here I am.

Problem:
    I just bought a new iMac, its one of the "new" ones since the price reduction. Anyway, I installed XP Pro SP2 and that went just fine BUT when I installed the drivers from the MAC OS X disc it appears that not all of them installed. In my device manager on XP here is a list of devices that don't have drivers:
    • Bluetooth USB Host Controller
    • Coprecessor
    • Ethernet Controller
    • Network Controller
    • SM Bus Controller
    • Video Controller
    I've tried running several drivers straight from the disc independently but it doesn't seem to help. When I open the nvidia driver is says some nonsense like "setup can't find any hardware on your computer that are compatible with these drivers". I have no internet access in windows as the network controllers are not installed. I wonder if perhaps they gave me an OS disc with the wrong drivers on it.

What I'm looking for:
    I either need some good drivers or someone who knows exactly how I can fix the problem to reply to this post. The most important thing would be to at least get my wireless network stuff working so that I can connect to the internet in XP and perhaps find drivers that way. Please help!

2. McShizzel macrumors regular

Did you run a Software Update on Leopard before boot camping Windows? It may be because you don't have the latest drivers for Boot Camp.

Chances are you have the right Mac OS discs (it should have iMac printed on the disc).

What I would do is completely remove the Windows Partition, then make sure I have the latest Apple software by running software update and then reinstalling XP via Boot Camp and giving that a try.

3. benbald thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply but...

I made sure I updated my os x right after i bought the computer and regularly since then (only a month now). My OS discs don't say iMac on them anywhere.. they say "for mac computers".

One interesting thing I found is that it says...

"The software on this disc is*used to install*Boot Camp, install the DVD or CD Sharing Setup for use with MacBook Air, or remotely install Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard on a MacBook Air. For system requirements and to learn more about each of these technologies, refer to*www.apple.com/support."

... in the readme file that is found on the OS X cd when opened in windows, with all of the windows drivers. It's a little ambiguous but is that what everyone else's says? I'm just trying to get to the bottom of why this won't work.

4. McShizzel macrumors regular

Hmmm...

Depending on when you bought your iMac you have 90 days of over the phone assistance (3 years if you buy Apple Care), I'd give them a call and ask them about the install discs, if it's the wrong ones they should mail you a set of free replacements.

I don't own an iMac but all my macs have the name of the system printed on the discs.

5. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

You are using Windows XP 32-bit, correct? There are no 64-bit drivers for XP on a mac.

6. benbald thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I'm using xp pro 32-bit. I'll have to try giving mac a call, I can't make heads nor tails of this and finding those drivers online is nigh impossible. I hope its something as simple as the wrong system discs because I know a couple of people personally running XP on bootcamp and they don't have a darn problem.

7. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

What is the configuration of your machine?

8. benbald thread starter macrumors newbie

This is a very old post now but I thought I'd go ahead and wrap it up in case anyone else is having a similar problem.

After getting in touch with apple and having me check a couple of things they determined that the OS discs they supplied me were incorrect. They were for a macbook or something like that, so they sent me the correct discs in the mail, free of charge. I popped them in the drive, the correct drivers installed without a hitch, and everything has been hunky dory since then.

If you're having a similar problem, there is a good chance you may have the wrong OS discs. Check to see if they say the name of your system on the (such as iMac). If not, contact apple. Good luck!

9. vistadude macrumors 65816

Wow that's worse than DLL hell. That's almost as bad as the ipods they shipped with viruses on them.