BAD ESN iPhone 5 on GSM network

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by stefanopolo, Jan 24, 2013.

1. stefanopolo macrumors newbie

Jan 24, 2013
    I'm aware the Verizon iPhone 5's are factory unlocked out of the box in which they will work on GSM networks (AT&T and T-Mobile) if you have a nano sim or file your sim down to a nano size.

What I'm looking to do is buy a used iPhone 5 for my cousin who happens to be on T-Mobile. She'll transfer her sim to a non sim. However since iPhone 5's are still expensive, I would like to know if the following cheaper approach will work.

If I buy a Bad ESN iphone 5 from Verizon, will it still be unlocked to work on GSM networks? I'm not looking to jailbreak it or do the Gervy sim unlocked or anything of that sort. I just want to use the factory unlocked and would love to go down the cheaper route of a BAD ESN Verizon iPhone 5.

And yes, I'm aware T-Mobile is coming out with the iPhone soon but it won't be discounted. And I appologize if this question has been asked, I was unable to find a thread that answered my specific question
  2. thehustleman macrumors 65816

Jan 3, 2013
    I can see that working depending on why it's ESN is bad.

There is a national blacklist coming and that would keep it from working
  3. dictoresno macrumors 601

Apr 30, 2012
    as of now, a bad ESN CDMA iphone 5 can be used successfully on a GSM network since there is still no IMEI blacklisting in the US. but then again, i would only do this depending on why the ESN was bad. if the phone was stolen, thats one thing, if not, then maybe i would.