Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Again What you say is

"SPRINT. IPHONES. CANNOT. BE UNLOCKED. FOR. DOMESTIC. CARRIER. USE. EVER. PERIOD. END. OF. STORY."

I can use My iPhone 4s on another carrier other than Sprint. Software, Hardware, or other the phone is still "unlocked" allowing me to use my iPhone 4s with its full capabilities on a different domestic carrier. You are right if I take out the interposer I cannot use my phone. So what? If you take out your sim you can't use your phone ether.

Definition:
Unlocked — Unlocked is the term used to describe mobile phones that are not tied to a particular service provider in order to be used.

I "use" my iPhone on another service provider other than sprint.
If a building has an outside door that is locked and someone with authority to do so comes and removes the lock then the door is completely unlocked and anyone can enter or leave. That is a carrier unlock. If you take your SIM card out you have no access to the door, but it does not mean a new lock has been put on the door. Sprint refuses to take the locks off the doors leading to the outside, but they will remove the locks on the doors inside the building.

If a building has an outside door that is locked and you do not have the key, but you know someone who does and they give you the key you can enter and you can leave. But you must still have a key to enter or leave the building because there is still a lock on the door. That is an interposer. If you pull out the interposer, you no longer have the key and the door remains locked.

You tell me which one of these is the true unlock?

Rishsd

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2014
Really what you need to do is you need to rephrase your statement. Your statement needs to say "you cannot factory unlock any Sprint iPhone" if you say the word "factory" you're absolutely correct.

----------

If a building has an outside door that is locked and someone with authority to do so comes and removes the lock then the door is completely unlocked and anyone can enter or leave. That is a carrier unlock. If you take your SIM card out you have no access to the door, but it does not mean a new lock has been put on the door. Sprint refuses to take the locks off the doors leading to the outside, but they will remove the locks on the doors inside the building.

If a building has an outside door that is locked and you do not have the key, but you know someone who does and they give you the key you can enter and you can leave. But you must still have a key to enter or leave the building because there is still a lock on the door. That is an interposer. If you pull out the interposer, you no longer have the key and the door remains locked.

You tell me which one of these is the true unlock?

Your right and I am wrong. I will continue to use my "locked" sprint phone on AT&T's network.
Get over yourself.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Really what you need to do is you need to rephrase your statement. Your statement needs to say "you cannot factory unlock any Sprint iPhone" if you say the word "factory" you're absolutely correct.

----------

Your right and I am wrong. I will continue to use my "locked" sprint phone on AT&T's network.
Get over yourself.
A factory unlock has nothing to do with Sprint. Only Sprint, which is a carrier and does not make the iPhone, can unlock a Sprint iPhone domestically and they refuse to do so. That is a carrier unlock, which is a true unlock and what we are discussing, not an interposer which allows the phone to be used on other networks via a MITM attack.

Have I insulted you in any way? Have I called you any names? Have I been rude (being emphatic is not being rude) to you?

If you feel I have insulted you then I'm sorry you feel that way. But my stating the facts is not me being arrogant. You can believe whatever you like but it does not make facts that may be inconvenient to your truth any less true.

P.S. I know a few people who have truly unlocked Sprint iPhones. Because either they came unlocked before Sprint changed their mind and clamped down on things, or because Apple forced Sprint to accept an unlocked iPhone on their network. In both cases, none of those iPhones required an interposer.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yah. Can't u just bypass the ESN, change the APN via APN editor and use it on another carrier.
Well…

There's this pesky little thing that Sprint does. See, the SIM cards that Sprint uses have this ICCID (Integrated Circuit Card Identifier) number on them. Sprint takes that number and pairs it with the MEID on the iPhone itself. Sprint then requires that the numbers match before the phone will give you service.

So, yeah, change your APN all you want. If the ICCID and the MEID on the phone don't match, no joy.

milda.820

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2014
BAD ESN in Europe

Hello guys,

I want to buy iPhone 5S. I am from Europe and I heard about BAD ESN. Someone say that iPhone can be used outside USA for example in Europe. Is it true or not?

Someone say that U.S. operator like Sprint, Verizon, AT&T share this iPhones with Europe operators.

Thanks a lot! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.