Bad ESN

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Samuriajackon, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

Trying to buy an iPhone off ebay or some place used; why do people bid on iPhones where the seller admitts that the ESN is bad? Are people just using these for parts? Or are people Jail Breaking them and using them anyway?

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

One man's junk is another man's treasure ... most probably for parts with some others not reading the auction and getting stuck with a non working phone.

3. Samuriajackon thread starter macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

I bought a used phone once were the seller sent me a clean ESN but not the ESN that was on the phone, i got a refund but this $400 motorola was worthless. I told Verizon i bought it and they contacted the original owner and she called me, I returned the phone to her...If this happens with my iPhone I'll probably hack it and keep it :)

4. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

esn

heres a tip, even if your ESN is bad. You can probably take it to apple and swap it. Just because the ESN is bad doesn't mean your warranty is voided. FYI!:)

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Maybe, but I would think that if it were really that easy, the original "owner" would have gone tot he Apple Store and swapped it him or herself. If they have to sell it instead, then I would suspect they tried that and were turned away.

In any case, you shouldn't expect to buy any phone with a bad ESN and expect have any easy way to turn it into a working phone with a good one.

6. Samuriajackon thread starter macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

Well I don't plan on buying a bad ESN phone; but i might read up on Jail breaking later...or is that really a 3GS type of deal?

7. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

take it

3gs? verizon has esn's and never had the 3gs. ATT phones can't have bad esn's.

8. Samuriajackon thread starter macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

I haven't looked into a iPhone since it originally came out a few years ago. Forgive me ignorance.