Bad experience serving MBP battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aaronchow, Mar 25, 2016.

1. aaronchow, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016

aaronchow macrumors regular

I took my 2013 rMBP to service/replace its battery as the "service battery" message finally shows up. Although I have another iMac placed in my office, it is more convenience for me to work on my laptop after work or on the go. Before and after I scheduled my Genius appointment, I called the San Francisco Stonestown's Apple Store, and they confirmed that they have my replacement battery in stock and should take less than an hour to replace it. So I bought my MBP there, but the Genius said that I had to leave my laptop, not overnight (which I wouldn't complaint), for 7 days. I questioned why it would take them a week for a simple battery replacement, and I also questioned him if he found some other issues that might extend the servicing time. But he insisted that my laptop is fine, and it is "standard practice" to take a week for battery replacement.

I eventually talked to his manager, but the manager insisted that he trusted his colleagues' expertise, so he suggested that I should file my complaint directly to Apple Headquarters of i am not happy, which I will after I get my laptop back.

I just don't know what to say about this experience anymore. I had nice experiences visiting this Apple Store location many times before, and I understand that it might take them longer to service a computer if they are busy and short on staff (hey, I also work in programming and I know how to build my own desktop). But if a guy, who sat next to me, was asked to come back in 5 days to replace his logic board, then there is really no reason that it will take them 7 days to replace my battery. I felt that something must have gone wrong when they took my laptop to their back room, so they were trying to buy themselves some time to cover up whatever they are doing.

Once I have my laptop back, I will file my complaint to Apple and will post the employe names here if they are at fault.

2. Jozone macrumors 6502

Nothing went wrong -- replacing the battery on your machine is essentially a complete rebuild (every part is removed as the battery is glued to the topcase) -- 7 business days sounds like they might be pretty busy.

/Edit: The screwup is the person who told you it would take an hour -- yes it would take a tech an hour to do, but that is not the same as how long it will take to get back to you.

3. Count Blah, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016

Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

sorry to hear that. It's ONE of the reasons I will be keeping my 2012 cMBP, as long as humanly possible.

When Apple glues/solders everything in, it's an insult to the consumer, and a pure money grab, IMHO. Don't believe me? Look at the new "improved" Mac mini.

Environmentally friendly, by making disposable computers. SMH

PS - I would NOT post employee names. I'm sure it's against forum rules. Naming the store, where you had a bad experience, is sufficient. Keep the employee names between you and Apple. ;)

4. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

Mine took 3 hours. Mid 2009 Macbook Pro. Guess they didn't glue everything down back then. That's crazy.

5. bfid111 macrumors 6502

how many cycles do you need to get your service battery?

6. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

7. Modernape macrumors regular

I had my 2012 rMBP13 battery replaced at an Apple store in the UK under applecare, and they did it same day, replacing the keyboard and top case at the same time. About 6 hours total (though they said it would have been quicker if two of their technicians weren't off sick that day).