Bad Experience with PowerMax.com

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by derek1984, Apr 13, 2009.

1. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

On April 3rd, I ordered a Switcheasy Rebel case for my iPod Touch. The item was "in-stock" on their website. I received an email stating confirmation of my order and that it would ship right away. Well, it is now April 13th and no sign of my case. No shipment confirmation or anything. So I decided to call PowerMax today, only to find out that my item hasn't shipped yet. They still have the item in-stock, the sales representative just had no clue why it hasn't shipped yet. Needless to say, I canceled my order. I wouldn't deal with PowerMax ever again after that poor customer service. Buyer Beware.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Interesting since PowerMax has good reviews on resellerratings.com

3. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

That doesn't really sound that bad. I mean, someone made a mistake and you were inconvenienced as a result. So that's not good. But it doesn't seem like a never-deal-with-them-again kind of thing.

You certainly don't have to deal with them again if you don't want to, but if I applied the same standard (unexpected shipping delay == never deal again) then I couldn't ever order anything from amazon, apple, etc.

I don't expect perfection from the companies I order from. I just expect them to fix their mistakes when they happen, maintain good communication, and not have too many mistakes.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Powermax has been around for years and has a good reputation. I really don't like when people tart threads about a business for one bad experience. All businesses make errors. I judge them by how they handle fixing errors.

5. derek1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

There's no excuse for an item that is in stock not to be shipped. Someone is not doing their job. I even payed extra for 2-4 day shipping. The sales rep apologized and then said that he would ship it today but there's no excuse for it to come to that. It should've been shipped 10 days ago when I ordered it. Maybe I just had bad luck with this site, but this is what happened to me and I just want future potential buyers to know.

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

So you fail to contact them for ten days, and then once you inform them of the mistake they immiedately correct it? How sad...

7. derek1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

If I didn't call PowerMax today to find out what the deal was with my order after 10 days, nothing would've happened. My order would just have been forgotten about.

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

What's your point? If the order got lost, it got lost. Too bad. They resolved your problem almost instantly. What do you expect customer service to do? Have a case teleported to you? It's probably not even the fault of any worker, rather a flaw in a computer system which is probably outsourced anyway.

9. derek1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

My point is pretty simple: They didn't do their job when it came to my order. I really needed to have my case last week when I was supposed to get it. They resolved my problem when I contacted them.

10. aethelbert macrumors 601

Better than not resolving your problem when you contacted them, no? You're trying to trash their customer service but your argument makes no sense.

11. derek1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

My argument makes no sense? They never shipped an in-stock order that I had payed for. They completely forgot about it. How can you not trash a business that doesn't take care of your order? That's what their job is.

12. aethelbert macrumors 601

A computer screwed up... If it was supposed to ship on one day and it didn't, then why didn't you contact them earlier? They offered to resolve your problem quickly but you just blew them off. If you don't want to buy from them again, I really don't care, but there's a lot worse that could happen when buying stuff online.

13. derek1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I blew them off?!? I ordered. They never shipped. They blew ME off. I am not going to keep going on with this. For any potential buyers on this site, just be careful.

14. aethelbert macrumors 601

You ordered, you told them of their error, they offered to resolve it. The ten days is irrelevant.

15. PowerMax.com macrumors newbie

Michael with PowerMax here.

@derek1984 - we made a mistake, absolutely. Someone's computer (BTW all the sales people are in our Portland office, no one is outsourced ;) hiccuped and misplaced your order confirmation. We've been doing a ton of work on our website recently (take a look - PowerMax.com) and there is a possibility that your order got short changed when we rolled out some changes.

That said, we shouldn't have dropped the ball and we're certainly looking into what could have been the problem with your order. You can always reach us at sales@powermax.com, feedback@powermax.com, or on twitter @powermax_news.

To everyone else - wow - thanks for the support!

16. azdunerat macrumors regular

Sorry but Power Max did the same thing to a friend of mine who ordered a LaCie drive. Showed in stock and ordered it without a hitch. Week goes by and nothing, so she calls them only to find out it was out of stock. Personally if you are going to say you have it in stock you should at least be able to notify customers of delays and not make it so your customer has to call you.

17. PowerMax.com macrumors newbie

This is a great point, and something I'll work with the IT team to figure out a solution for. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

18. buxtone17 macrumors regular

derek -

I think everyone understands your frustration, but this certainly isn't a "Buyer Beware" scenario.

Because of how quickly you jumped to vowing to never buy from PowerMax again, I would assume that this was the first time you ordered something from them. If that is the case, you need to understand that all companies make mistakes. I'm sure you've heard of B&H Photo/Video, as they're one of the most reputable computer/camera/video stores in the world. I've ordered tons of gear from B&H without any problems. One time, they even contacted a UPS driver for me when I missed him at my house by about five minutes (my delivery needed a signature) and I was able to meet up with him in a Baskin Robbins parking lot to get my gear.

Anyway, after dozens of B&H orders over the past five or six years, I finally got my first letdown back in January. I ordered a 17" MacBook Pro and it came with a broken optical drive. Now, if that sort of thing had happened with my first B&H order, I'm sure I would have been as frustrated as you are. But back when I placed my first order with B&H, I knew that they were a reputable company and that they process thousands of successful orders every day, so I wouldn't have freaked out and posted Buyer Beware threads.

The point is, you're one customer out of thousands upon thousands. It sucks that this happened to you, but that doesn't mean you were dealing with a terrible company.

Oh, and one more thing...

You said this at some point in this thread: "I really needed to have my case last week when I was supposed to get it."

1. If you "really needed" to have your case last week when you were supposed to get it, why didn't you call PowerMax when it wasn't delivered in 2-4 days?

2. Does anyone ever "really need" an iPod touch, let alone a case for it?