Bad experience with tenfourfox

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Lil Chillbil, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

I downloaded tenfourfox earlier today off of their site. I had heard a lot of good reviews about it, so I decided to try it out. Immediately after installing I went onto macrumors and it was very fast and I must say I was pretty impressed. Then I opened a new tab and went onto youtube to play music in the background while I'm on macrumors. It froze 5 seconds After I switched tabs back to macrumors and then quit unexpectedly. I have since deleted tenfourfox off my ssd and went back to using safari

2. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Did you bother troubleshooting? This could likely be an issue on your end. This many people wouldn't recommend a browser that froze and quit on them all the time.

3. alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

Did you monitor your CPU and/or RAM usage? I wouldn't ever play a YouTube video in a browser and expect to be able to do anything else on my machine. I play music in MacTubes if I want to browse at the same time...

I think you're expecting too much. Then again this is coming from a single 1.8GHz G5 user.

4. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

5. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Browsers can crash, so it's still possible enough that it could happen during the first time browsing. I'd say the issue with the latest versions of TenFourFox is more speed than stability. The earlier versions of TenFourFox work just as well for page rendering, at least from my experience.

6. Lil Chillbil thread starter macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

when I use safari I can always have youtube open on a tab and a non-cpu heavy site on the other tab like macrumors. And the last time I had downloaded
    mactubes safari crashed every 15 seconds

7. Lil Chillbil thread starter macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

well i'm loving stainless web browser and I think i'll now use it as my main browser

8. Seth Mac Fan, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012

Seth Mac Fan macrumors regular

Do not use youtube in your web browser that is your main problem .

Install mactubes again and make sure you go into the settings of mactubes and make it so the video player is set to use quicktime . Trust me it works much better this way and you can even watch hd videos give mactubes and tenfourfox another try . If you really do not like mactubes there is a similiar program called YouView it basically does the same thing as mactubes but I have not tried it myself but I have heard good things about it .

If you do not like tenfourfox give webkit a try it is very similar to safari but you will have to have leopard to install it you can not use it with tiger .

Also if you do not like mactubes after setting it to use quicktime player then try m.youtube.com in safari or webkit it may work better because it will use quicktime to play the video in the browser . I do not think you can use m.youtube.com in tenfourfox though because it uses the quicktime player and if you want to use it in tenfourfox you have to enable it .

9. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

It seems like there's a problem at your end as they say above. It is slow though, on some older systems. That's why I never really cared for it, even with the flash turned on again.

Seth: What's whith the different text size, man? It's weird to say the least. :)

10. Seth Mac Fan, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012

Seth Mac Fan macrumors regular

Fixed .

11. Lil Chillbil thread starter macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

so I downloaded mactubes again and switched it to quicktime and my web browser stopped quitting but I am sticking to stainless as my main browser

12. PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

You could also try SeaMonkey as this is a nice web browser from what I have heard and read.