Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Just wanted to warn others about my horrific experience with Yale Assure Lock SL for HomeKit. It's been almost two years and it's failed four times. As you may or may not know, there is a "iM1 module" that plugs into the Yale Lock unit and that is how it communicates with HomeKit. That module seems to fail frequently and when it does; 1) you will no longer be able to communicate with HomeKit and 2) it'll eat your four AA batteries real quick. I'm on my fourth replacement now and Yale decided to replace the entire unit but upon replacing the unit, they forgot to send a new iM1 module. The new unit took over 1 month to arrive and now I need to wait for another iM1 module and who knows how long that'll take.

Anyone else with a bad experience with Yale Lock for HomeKit? Or did I get a lemon?

*Update to this on post #28*

Last edited:

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
FWIW, I been using the Yale Assure SL with “Connected by August” module and WiFi bridge for a few years now on my front door and it’s been rock solid. Plus you get a ton more features than the iM1 module has which i been using on my closet door. It’s a little pricey but it works great. I got my Yale lock with August Connect as a bundle but you can purchase separately. I’ve seen deals on amazon from time to time, in case you’re interested. Definitely brings the lock to a whole new level. I wasn’t too crazy about the iM1.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
FWIW, I been using the Yale Assure SL with “Connected by August” module and WiFi bridge for a few years now on my front door and it’s been rock solid. Plus you get a ton more features than the iM1 module has which i been using on my closet door. It’s a little pricey but it works great. I got my Yale lock with August Connect as a bundle but you can purchase separately. I’ve seen deals on amazon from time to time, in case you’re interested. Definitely brings the lock to a whole new level. I wasn’t too crazy about the iM1.
Does the August module work with HomeKit? And what added functionality would I get? The last rep I spoke with mentioned how she might offer a different module since I'm having reoccurring issues with the iM1 module.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Does the August module work with HomeKit? And what added functionality would I get? The last rep I spoke with mentioned how she might offer a different module since I'm having reoccurring issues with the iM1 module.
Absolutely works with HomeKit. With August, you get a door sensor that lets you also know if door is open or closed, a comprehensive log of who, when and how the door was unlocked or locked, many different smart alerts, meaning you’ll get notifications when the door was auto locked, one touch locked, a particular user unlocks or locks, whether it was locked or unlocked with HomeKit, etc..., auto lock up to 30 mins (believe iM1 is only 180 seconds), Auto Unlock using your phones Bluetooth connection when you get close, alerts if the door was left open after a set amount of time (up to 30 mins)... I personally like having manufacturers apps send me notifications because they grab my attention more than just a bunch of generic looking HomeKit notifications but everything with the August Connect is available in HomeKit. It’s 4 parts. The actual lock which you already have, the module that goes in the lock, a wall plug in WiFi bridge and the door sensor which can be mounted on the door or in the door (comes with a flush mount that requires drilling a hole in your door).

The other module that the rep is talking about is likely the plain WiFi or Zigbee module which are not HomeKit supported but look like the iM1, just in white. I’ve seen the August Connect range from $90 to $120 so highly doubt that’s the one she’s talking about.

HDJulie

macrumors demi-goddess
Jun 13, 2008
Little Rock, AR
Short version - I have 4 Yale locks & all of them work just fine with HomeKit & I do not have battery drain.

Long version -- Originally, 2 of the locks were Yale Real Living, both touchscreens. One of those was on my husband's shop which is directly exposed to the elements. It had the outer coating rub off around the digits used for the code. Yale has a "lifetime" warranty, but I think they will replace the entire lock only once. Be sure to save the receipt. The replacement lock was a Yale Assure, which uses the August Connect module. I have another touch screen & a lever lock that are both also Yale Assure using August Connect. What I like about the August Connect is the Auto Unlock. More about that in a minute. My 4th lock is a Real Living. That lock is controlled through the Yale app (and HomeKit) & the August Connect ones are controlled through the August app (and HomeKit). I prefer the Yale app interface. It's more intuitive. For the August Connect modules (the bridge that plugs into the wall), I have a hard time getting them to connect again if I lose power or I have to unplug one for some reason. It is pull-your-hair-out frustrating.

I do like the AutoUnlock but there's one condition - they limit the unlock to one door per house. I have two doors into my house from the garage -- a deadbolt from the garage to the mudroom & a lever lock from the mudroom to the kitchen area. I want them both to automatically unlock. I didn't know it was a limitation until I called August to find out why I couldn't set the AutoUnlock on the lever lock. I did find a workaround. I created a second "home" & installed the lever lock in that home. Now, both locks will unlock provided they are not on the same mesh node in my AiMesh network. If they are on the same one, one of them will get a "communication error" when trying to auto unlock.

MacintoshDan

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
I have to admit my Yale Assure SL with the M1 module is the most reliable HomeKit device I have by a far margin. It just works and never doesn’t respond. I plan on getting 2 or 3 for my next house as soon as I close. And for reference I have Wemo plugs and switches, LIFX bulbs, IKEA blinds, Chamberlain MyQ, and an Eve plug. The only device out of them all that never goes to No Response is the Yale lock. The Wemo stuff is a close second. The MyQ hub doesn’t work more then it works I hate it. The LIFX bulbs are 50/50.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I have to admit my Yale Assure SL with the M1 module is the most reliable HomeKit device I have by a far margin. It just works and never doesn’t respond. I plan on getting 2 or 3 for my next house as soon as I close. And for reference I have Wemo plugs and switches, LIFX bulbs, IKEA blinds, Chamberlain MyQ, and an Eve plug. The only device out of them all that never goes to No Response is the Yale lock. The Wemo stuff is a close second. The MyQ hub doesn’t work more then it works I hate it. The LIFX bulbs are 50/50.
I heard bad things about the MyQ Hub. I bought three on Black Friday last year in anticipation of buying a new house. Was running the Insignia openers in the old house but left them behind with the new owners. When I moved, I decided to just get new openers installed. Went with LiftMaster openers with built in MyQ/WiFi and connected them direct to the LiftMaster HomeKit bridge. Phenomenal. No issues. I completely bypassed the need for the hubs and I’m glad I went this route.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Short version - I have 4 Yale locks & all of them work just fine with HomeKit & I do not have battery drain.

Long version -- Originally, 2 of the locks were Yale Real Living, both touchscreens. One of those was on my husband's shop which is directly exposed to the elements. It had the outer coating rub off around the digits used for the code. Yale has a "lifetime" warranty, but I think they will replace the entire lock only once. Be sure to save the receipt. The replacement lock was a Yale Assure, which uses the August Connect module. I have another touch screen & a lever lock that are both also Yale Assure using August Connect. What I like about the August Connect is the Auto Unlock. More about that in a minute. My 4th lock is a Real Living. That lock is controlled through the Yale app (and HomeKit) & the August Connect ones are controlled through the August app (and HomeKit). I prefer the Yale app interface. It's more intuitive. For the August Connect modules (the bridge that plugs into the wall), I have a hard time getting them to connect again if I lose power or I have to unplug one for some reason. It is pull-your-hair-out frustrating.

I do like the AutoUnlock but there's one condition - they limit the unlock to one door per house. I have two doors into my house from the garage -- a deadbolt from the garage to the mudroom & a lever lock from the mudroom to the kitchen area. I want them both to automatically unlock. I didn't know it was a limitation until I called August to find out why I couldn't set the AutoUnlock on the lever lock. I did find a workaround. I created a second "home" & installed the lever lock in that home. Now, both locks will unlock provided they are not on the same mesh node in my AiMesh network. If they are on the same one, one of them will get a "communication error" when trying to auto unlock.

I have a Real Living lock, but currently using with AT&T Digital Life. I would like to source a August Connect module for this old lock, turning it into a HomeKit compatible version. Any ideas on where to buy such a thing?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I have a Real Living lock, but currently using with AT&T Digital Life. I would like to source a August Connect module for this old lock, turning it into a HomeKit compatible version. Any ideas on where to buy such a thing?
You can get the August Connect from Amazon but make sure the lock will accept the module. I had a Yale Real Living with AT&T also in the past and was bummed to find out it wouldn’t accept the module after I bought it, meaning there’s no slot for it on the lock. I believe the Yale Assure is the only one that accepts the changeable modules.

Yale Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Upgrade Kit for Assure Locks and Assure Levers - Works with the August app, Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant and Siri (Ayr202-CBA-KIT) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GPXN936/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_nF8IFbEJG4QHK

Reactions: HDJulie

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
You can get the August Connect from Amazon but make sure the lock will accept the module. I had a Yale Real Living with AT&T also in the past and was bummed to find out it wouldn’t accept the module after I bought it, meaning there’s no slot for it on the lock. I believe the Yale Assure is the only one that accepts the changeable modules.

Yale Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Upgrade Kit for Assure Locks and Assure Levers - Works with the August app, Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant and Siri (Ayr202-CBA-KIT) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GPXN936/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_nF8IFbEJG4QHK
Thanks. My Yale RL lock has (what appears to be) the right slot for that module. But I’m starting to think it won’t be compatible after reading a bit of the FAQs on the August site.

Oh well, might just have to wait for some sales.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Thanks. My Yale RL lock has (what appears to be) the right slot for that module. But I’m starting to think it won’t be compatible after reading a bit of the FAQs on the August site.

Oh well, might just have to wait for some sales.
No problem. I don’t recall how but I definitely remember the AT&T RL was not compatible with the August Connect or iM1 module. I remember being really pissed about it too after I had purchased to iM1. Just wanted to give you a heads up. If you say it has the slot for it, above the battery compartment, maybe you can rig something up but it might be hardwired into the board. Maybe they can unlock it like a cell phone. What do I know.

Reactions: BeatCrazy

MacintoshDan

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
I was considering using the newer august access module to have WiFi but that would mean I would have to have 3 separate hubs (plus one more to use the delivery box) since for some reason they make you have one per lock. No thanks. I’m going to use the HomeKit Bluetooth M1s. PC Richards has them for $29 each (if you want the WiFi ones they have a good price on them also, $89), and Amazon has the locks for $149. I’ll need one lever lock for the garage and 2 deadbolts for the exterior doors. As for MyQ the actual hub to adapt to the older opener works with no issues in the MyQ app. The issue is with the Homehub to use HomeKit. It constantly says No Response for days on end. I can then go in the MyQ app and open and close the door no issue. For the $20 the hub cost plus the $90 for the Homehub I just went with the $39 insignia one and I am hoping it will work better.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I was considering using the newer august access module to have WiFi but that would mean I would have to have 3 separate hubs (plus one more to use the delivery box) since for some reason they make you have one per lock. No thanks. I’m going to use the HomeKit Bluetooth M1s. PC Richards has them for $29 each (if you want the WiFi ones they have a good price on them also, $89), and Amazon has the locks for $149. I’ll need one lever lock for the garage and 2 deadbolts for the exterior doors. As for MyQ the actual hub to adapt to the older opener works with no issues in the MyQ app. The issue is with the Homehub to use HomeKit. It constantly says No Response for days on end. I can then go in the MyQ app and open and close the door no issue. For the $20 the hub cost plus the $90 for the Homehub I just went with the $39 insignia one and I am hoping it will work better.
Just be prepared to change the battery (CR 2054 IIRC) on the Insignia sensor every 2-3 months. Other than that they were great.

About the MyQ HomeKit bridge. Strange. I haven’t had a single issue with it and it’s not even in my garage running three garage door openers. I guess everyone’s circumstances and experiences are different.

Last edited:

MacintoshDan

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
Maybe I will try moving it in to the house. I only changed the battery in the MyQ sensor once in the almost one year we have had it.

Last edited:

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Maybe I will try moving it in to the house. I only changed the battery in the MyQ sensor once on TVs almost one year we have had it.
I hope you fair better with the Insignia opener batteries than I did. Like I said, they were excellent but every two or three months, the Home app will show them stuck in opening or closing and pressing on the tile does nothing with the door. Come to find out it just needs a new battery.

onujpt

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2015
Tampa, FL
I went through probably 6-7 IM1 modules before finally Karening my way to a free Connected by August module. I echo others in that the features are amazing and has been rock solid + HK compatibility, too.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Thanks for the feedback, folks. I got the replacement lock mechanism but they forgot to send a new module so another week or two wait til i will have a trouble free experience.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
I went through probably 6-7 IM1 modules before finally Karening my way to a free Connected by August module. I echo others in that the features are amazing and has been rock solid + HK compatibility, too.
Seems like we had the same problem. I'm STILL waiting for my iM1 module replacement, Yale customer service is absolutely horrible. Debating if I just want to bite the bullet and spend $120 for the August upgrade module with DoorSense. Yale's horrible customer service make me question spending another dime with them...

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Seems like we had the same problem. I'm STILL waiting for my iM1 module replacement, Yale customer service is absolutely horrible. Debating if I just want to bite the bullet and spend $120 for the August upgrade module with DoorSense. Yale's horrible customer service make me question spending another dime with them...
If you could wait a few more weeks and assuming you’re in the US, they’ll probably go on sale for Black Friday. I got my August Connect for $95 on Amazon a few months ago (WiFi bridge, module and door sense). It wasn’t a holiday sale but they do go on sale every so often. FYSA, Yale and August are owned by the same company so not sure you’ll get a better experience with August customer service. I never had an issue with either though.

MacintoshDan

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
If you could wait a few more weeks and assuming you’re in the US, they’ll probably go on sale for Black Friday. I got my August Connect for $95 on Amazon a few months ago (WiFi bridge, module and door sense). It wasn’t a holiday sale but they do go on sale every so often. FYSA, Yale and August are owned by the same company so not sure you’ll get a better experience with August customer service. I never had an issue with either though.

$87

Reactions: slipper and Itinj24

Ollé

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
Australia
I had the same experience as @slipper. I bought one and within about a month the iM1module had failed - seems to be a huge issue for Yale. I just need to wait for the august module to go be released here or just pony up and get the Zigbee/Z-wave module.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.